More glyphosate-resistant weeds found. (Round-Up Resistant)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Jan 1, 2007.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

http://www.farmanddairy.com/1editor...2-28&-token.story=61646.112114&-token.subpub=

2. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Guess they will just have to switch some of the active ingredients then to take care of this and I am sure the different chemical companies are working on just that right now. No big deal it will be addressed with changing the formula. That is what chemical engineers are all about making up different formulas to do different things.

3. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

I think I had some of that giant ragweed appear HERE last summer!!! It came up behind my house and I swear it grew a foot a day!!! I have never seen it here (in Terrebonne) before and I battled it all summer. The neighbors have a big patch behind my wood shed that they haven't taken care of and I think the seed kept blowing over here :(

4. seedspreader

BAWK... no big deal, polly wanna cracker... bawk.

5. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

AK is right on this one. zeal, do you think the sky is going to fall? whats the big deal?

6. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

If you aren't dependent on Roundup, it's still just plain old ragweed :shrug:

7. seedspreader

Ever studied on antibiotics and their indiscriminate use?

8. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

We ARE not talking about ""indiscriminate use"" of these pesticides that is WHY Read The Directions, and use accordingly. Gee Apples and Oranges comparing antibiotics GESH..............

9. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

ROFL :help:

10. seedspreader

How is it apples to oranges? Both are genetic responses to things that inhibit their growth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic

Pesticide Resistance... well heck, we are talking about herbicide resistance here. It's same-same.

So the next corn that gets manufactured... now has a glyphosate resistant gene manufactured in it... and whatever the new fangled chemical we whip up to kill of the glyphosate resistant, we will have to find some genetic material that is resistant to that ALSO... then we after there are more weeds that develop that are resistant to both...

and so on and so on... until the weeds are resistant to everything we have available. And our corn and grains will have so much extra DNA material that wasn't originally there, that we won't know how it will all interact.

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Natures way.A resistant strain is sure to survive.

So much for better living thru chemicals,eh?

[​IMG] Now THAT was funny,LOL!

BooBoo :gromit:

12. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

It's a real problem. Of course.

What goes wrong i that everything is coming out glysophate-resistant these days, and some are tempted to spray glysophate year after year. I beleive 7 or 8 'weeds' are showing resistance - I'm sure the link mesntions them all, I didn't visit there yet.

So much for the cheap $5 weed treatment any more.

It is not a 'sky is falling' issue tho either. We survived before roundup-ready crops, and will survive this way too. Just the price of doing business changes.

One needs to mix in an old style chemical with the glysophate. Or, rotate your chemicals completely from one year to the next.

Some farmers are suggesting that it doesn't pay for them to do the gmo crop any more, if they have to add other chemical sprays - might as well leave out the gmo cost & the glysophate completely then.

The ginant ragweed is just regular old grw that has been sprayed with glysophate a lot. Some few seeds turn out to be naturally resistant to glysophate, & they each produce a few million seeds, which are also resistant..... And so, this regular grw is resistant to glysophate now. It's not really any type of mutaint. It was selected from the natural plants out there.

24D, dicomba, or any of the regular broadleaf sprays will kill it off.

So in that respect, it's not really a big deal. Changes farming again for those who were using gmo, but only slightly. It is normal to change practices every 10 years or so, has been that wayin farming forever....

--->Paul

13. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

I haven't found too many weeds that are resistant to boiling salt water, which is what I use due to chickens and chirruns roamin' about...it even kills knapweed!

14. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

it would be a little difficult to use boiling water on a 160 acre field, and then only hit the targeted weeds, and not the crop,

15. The Paw

The Paw Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with Zeal on this. It is not as simple as some suggest, that a simple chemical tweaking every so often will correct it.

While round-up resistant weeds may not be the end of the world in and of themselves, what this is demonstrating is that genetic modification "jumps the fence" and impacts other plant species with unintended consequences. Monsanto and the rest of the chemical companies constantly assure us that these are all tested and safe, but their real world application is not the same as laboratory tests.

Chemically-based agriculture has really only been around since the end of WWII, so we are at or near a point of history where the first generation of farmers who don't know anything except chemical based farming are starting to retire. Compared to the thousands of years of non-chemical agricultural history, the long term impacts of this approach (which we see as the norm) are still unknown.

If one looks at this as a companion issue to the approval of cloned meat for sale, this concept of supremacy of technology over nature is a worrisome trend.

16. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

"While round-up resistant weeds may not be the end of the world in and of themselves, what this is demonstrating is that genetic modification "jumps the fence" and impacts other plant species with unintended consequences."

They were using Roundup BEFORE there were GM beans and corn, so resistance was already building in weeds. Its a natural process and has NOTHING to do with genetic engineering of crops. Its about herbicides and resistant plants and NOTHING else

17. The Paw

The Paw Well-Known Member

I acknowledge that Roundup existed before GMOs, and that there would have been a Round-up resistant strain developing as a result (I am not sure I would call it a "natural process", perhaps a natural reaction to an unnatural intervention...). However, there is no question that the development of Roundup Ready canola, for example, has greatly accelerated the proliferation of Roundup resistant species. Even though they give it the benign name of "volunteer canola", this GMO crop is becoming a weed in and of itself. You can see it in ditches, crossing into fields, or stubbornly popping up the year after it was intentionally planted and harvested.

Life is a balance. We can see this all around us in physics, chemistry and mathematics - "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". In math, what you do to one side of the equation, you do to the other. In high school, we balanced chemical equations. When we use a technology to accelerate a process or make it easier or more convenient, there is always a price to pay, a down side. There is no free lunch. The difficulty is that the price is not always apparent to the naked eye, or immediately observable, so for the sake of convenience or economics, we convince ourselves that we won't be having to pay the piper.

To think that the use of GMOs, fossil fuels, cloning, and other technology "triumphs" over natural limitations, aren't going to have far-reaching consequences is myopic in my view.

18. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Maybe having 160 acres to take care of is part of the problem?

I don't think weeds will ever build up a resistance to a good old fashioned torching...