Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In addition to the trees I mentioned in my previous thread, I have a few more I have questions about.

1. There was a Celeste Fig at the nursery today that was covered in about 20 little figs despite the tree being about 2 feet tall. I couldn't pass it up.

2. I have a blackberry vine in a pot. Should I plant it somewhere (with mulch), or winter it in the pot, perhaps covered with something to insulate it? If I plant it, should I wait for the leaves to all fall off? Eventually I want it to be big and beautiful, I just don't know where I want it to be...

3. I have some small Ken's Red Hardy Kiwis coming in the mail (2 females 1 male). These kiwis are relatively cold-hardy, but I'm not sure if that's the case for ones as small as I'm getting. Should I plant them now with lots of mulch, or winter them in my basement and plant in the spring?

4. Small satsuma tree and calomondin tree. Both are supposedly more cold-hardy than other satsumas and calomondins, but they're both still very young. I intend to winter them indoors regardless, but when spring comes should I switch them to larger containers and let them be container plants permanently (moving them inside each winter), or try my hand at planting them and mulching really well in the fall/winter?

5. I might buy some blueberry bushes in the near future. I live in Raleigh and there's a blueberry orchard 40 minutes East that has 4 year old plants for 10 bucks apiece. Winter those inside, or plant them?

Zone 7a here.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
I am not sure what varieties you are planting but I think in your climate, both the blackberry and blueberries will be fine just planting them out now. I had to look for specific blackberries that would survive up here. There are many, many more varieties for the south than the north. Blueberries are hardy.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
Now is the time to plant IF the ground is not frozen solid BUT only plants hardy to your area should be planted now, for best root development....James

1 - 3 of 3 Posts