More firewood questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cast iron, Nov 11, 2005.

1. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

What do the following terms mean in your neck of the woods when describing cut/split firewood that is for sale:

"Seasoned"

"Dry"

Can a pile of uncovered firewood be "seasoned"?

Can a pile of uncovered firewood be considered "dry"?

How about log loads. I see adds for "seasoned" log loads, non seasoned log loads, and dry log loads.

Can a pile of logs that sits around uncovered be considered "seasoned"? How about "dry"?

How long does a pile of cut/split firewood have to sit around uncovered before it is considered "seasoned"?

How long does a log load have to sit around uncovered to be considered "seasoned"?

I'm in western WA if that makes much difference. :)

Wayne

2. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

.. and I 'd bet there's gonna be a few differing answers. Here, the fella I've bought wood from considers it "dry" after it's been felled and sits a year. He considers it "seasoned" if it's been put under cover (in a building) and sits for a year.

R

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Seasoned 9-12 months aged or more 2yr wood is GREAT!
    Dry 4-6 months

yes uncovered wood works...so long as it isnt sitting in water....

green logs cut much easier than dry logs.....more sharpening for dry

with a gas splitter ....it doesnt matter if green or dry

Handsplitting is best done to frozen wood....a 10 degree day is perfect

we cut split 120 cord this year with friends...delivered tree length in March (green) cut rounds thru end of April...then split with gas splitter

mostly oak, birch, maple, beech

The smaller you split the faster it dries.....and rather than cutting a four way to look like pie pieces it is better to cut like a board...it burns better and longer....

4. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

Remember will dry faster in low humidity. Covered vs uncovered depend on amount of rain. If rainy area , made need a woodshed. If moderate may use tarp (Most of mine). If arid doesn't matter.

5. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

Hi Wayne, I"m in W WA too. One thing I know for sure, if you leave alder sitting out in the weather, even if it's in log form, it will rot quickly. Maple lasts longer unprotected, and BOTH split much easier when green. On the other hand, dry split alder and maple make wonderful firewood. It does burn faster than fir, but it's abundant too! With how wet it is hear, we cover all our firewood as soon as possible after the trees are down, even if we just cover the whole pile of logs to cut up later. Hope this helps?

6. OneWheelBiting

OneWheelBiting Redneck Hippy

seasoned doesn't mean much any more since any UL listed stove or insert in made to burn at it's peak with 30% moisture content in the wood.