Homesteading Forum banner
301 - 320 of 463 Posts

· Registered
44,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
The world has been ignoring and working at forgetting the invasion of a variety of areas by russia during the last couple of decades.
Do you think our attention is worth in an unaccounted for and without audit $100 billion+ borrowed from the Bank of China?

· Registered
5,664 Posts
Sure, cheaper now than later.
Europes cooperation has also been a good example for china.
There was a time I didn't think anything would grow spines in some European Governments. Turns out the threat of invasion can make them make their subjects be cold and fearful.

This really is like a bad dystopian movie that we are witnessing and living through.

· Registered
10,536 Posts
There was a time I didn't think anything would grow spines in some European Governments. Turns out the threat of invasion can make them make their subjects be cold and fearful.

This really is like a bad dystopian movie that we are witnessing and living through.
Even then, it’s still a money game, I’m sure. The more-equals of Europe compared notes with Russia’s oligarchs and realized that the baker’s cut in the west is much fatter than what Putin lets them keep in the east.

I say that only half-jokingly because, if the Commie chairmen, like Putin, weren’t quite so greedy and let their capos keep a deeper cut, “communism” would have survived the 20th century and become the dominant geo-political paradigm. As it were, the more-equals get fatter at a quasi-capitalist trough, so they’re willing to (send their fodder to) fight harder.

· Registered
44,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
Sure, cheaper now than later.
Europes cooperation has also been a good example for china.
I never thought that war with Russia was likely until the last year or so.

I do think it has opened China's eyes. Considering the world's dependence on China I am not sure it is an apples to apples comparison.

· Registered
4,526 Posts
The worlds dependence on china is a issue I agree, amazing that so many have looked the other way for so long, so as to allow it to happen. I do have to give credit to the chinese for being smart enough to make it happen. Seems to me its not likely to change.

· Registered
44,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
The worlds dependence on china is a issue I agree, amazing that so many have looked the other way for so long, so as to allow it to happen. I do have to give credit to the chinese for being smart enough to make it happen. Seems to me its not likely to change.
A lot of money has been made with China.

· Registered
4,526 Posts
True, but a lot has been lost also. As time goes by it seems to me that countries are beginning to learn that lesson, usually to late to do much about it. Many seem to just ignore the problem of the short term gains, versus the long term losses.

· Registered
44,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
True, but a lot has been lost also. As time goes by it seems to me that countries are beginning to learn that lesson, usually to late to do much about it. Many seem to just ignore the problem of the short term gains, versus the long term losses.
I am not sure what you think was lost. US wealth has moved to two areas since the 60's, China and the Middle East.

The rise in China's GDP is the wealth they gained since 2002. Can you show me what they lost?

I do think many companies in the US see the peril of a global supply chain and are working furiously to address them.

Fence Font Rectangle Wire fencing Parallel

· Registered
44,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
German Defense Minister Christine Lambrecht on Monday tendered her resignation, amid scrutiny over Berlin’s response to the war in Ukraine.

Last year, Lambrecht provoked international outcry after announcing Germany’s offer to supply Ukraine with 5,000 helmets, at a time when President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s administration was calling for heavy weapons to defend itself against Russian forces.

Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko dismissed the offer as “a joke” at the time, telling the German newspaper Bild that the gesture had left him “speechless.”

More recently, German lawmakers have called on Scholz’s government to deliver tanks to Ukraine. Officials in Kyiv have urged Western allies to provide heavy military vehicles to Kyiv amid fears that Russia could soon launch a new offensive.

Poland, France and the U.K. have pledged to send tanks to the Ukrainian military, while Finland says it could also donate a small number of German-made Leopard 2 tanks to help Kyiv protect itself if there was a larger group of countries doing so.

Reactions: Redlands Okie

· Registered
4,526 Posts
I am not sure what you think was lost. US wealth has moved to two areas since the 60's, China and the Middle East.

The rise in China's GDP is the wealth they gained since 2002. Can you show me what they lost?

I do think many companies in the US see the peril of a global supply chain and are working furiously to address them.

View attachment 117695
Seems to me that in general, the money that went to china came from the counties that have been loosing a lot.

· Registered
44,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 ·
"These are not normal times, we have a war raging in Europe. Russia is waging a brutal war of annihilation on a sovereign country, on Ukraine." Germany's new Defence Minister Boris Pistorius

Berlin has so far blocked allies from sending its Leopard 2 tanks, workhorse of militaries across Europe. Washington and many Western allies say the Leopards - which Germany made in the thousands during the Cold War and exported to its allies - are the only suitable option available in big enough numbers.

A German government source said Berlin would lift its objections if Washington sends its own Abrams tanks. But U.S. officials say they have no plans yet to send the Abrams, which runs on powerful turbine engines seen as using too much fuel for Kyiv's strained logistics system to supply at the front.

Poland and Finland have already said they would send Leopards if Germany lifts its veto.

· Registered
4,526 Posts
Abrams fuel issue is a big deal, very likely the major one as you mention. 3 gallons a mile I think I have read. Even at idle it burns almost as much. So is the abrams general engine maintence and other systems. Seems the leopards diesel engine is well within the capabilities of many urkraine soldiers. Plus diesel is easier to get and safely transport.

· Registered
44,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
Vladimir Putin has issued a nuclear warning to the UK as his country runs out of troops.

A close ally of the Russian President argued that deliveries of weapons to Kyiv threatening Russia will lead to a global “catastrophe”.

He went on to say that it would make arguments against the use of weapons of mass destruction indefensible.

Former deputy prime minister and head of Putin’s presidential administration, Vyacheslav Volodin, said: If Washington and NATO countries supply weapons that will be used to strike civilian cities and attempt to seize our territories, as they threaten, this will lead to retaliatory measures using more powerful weapons,"

In a Telegram message he continued: “Arguments that the nuclear powers have not previously used weapons of mass destruction in local conflicts are untenable. Because these states did not face a situation where there was a threat to the security of their citizens and the territorial integrity of the country."

He added "Deliveries of offensive weapons to the Kyiv regime will lead to a global catastrophe”.

It comes as former prime minister Boris Johnson said that the Russians would not use nuclear weapons.

Speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Johnson said: “Putin wants to present it as a nuclear stand-off between Nato and Russia.

“Nonsense. He’s not going to use nuclear weapons, OK. He’s like the fat boy in Dickens, he wants to make our flesh creep. He wants us to think about it. He’s never going to do it.”

· Registered
4,526 Posts
Russia has been shipping weapons into other conflicts currently and in the past for years. Not to mention actual invasions. Since they have been allowed to get away with it we now have the current Ukraine problem. Would Putin or someone under him use nukes? Guess it depends on what they think they have to loose if they do so. I would think that the rest of the world still has to stand up and resist russian aggression or continue to suffer the consequences for many years to come, while still living under nuclear threat.

· SM Entrepreneuraholic
18,605 Posts
Vladimir Putin has issued a nuclear warning to the UK as his country runs out of troops.

A close ally of the Russian President argued that deliveries of weapons to Kyiv threatening Russia will lead to a global “catastrophe”.

He went on to say that it would make arguments against the use of weapons of mass destruction indefensible.

Former deputy prime minister and head of Putin’s presidential administration, Vyacheslav Volodin, said: If Washington and NATO countries supply weapons that will be used to strike civilian cities and attempt to seize our territories, as they threaten, this will lead to retaliatory measures using more powerful weapons,"

In a Telegram message he continued: “Arguments that the nuclear powers have not previously used weapons of mass destruction in local conflicts are untenable. Because these states did not face a situation where there was a threat to the security of their citizens and the territorial integrity of the country."

He added "Deliveries of offensive weapons to the Kyiv regime will lead to a global catastrophe”.

It comes as former prime minister Boris Johnson said that the Russians would not use nuclear weapons.

Speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Johnson said: “Putin wants to present it as a nuclear stand-off between Nato and Russia.

“Nonsense. He’s not going to use nuclear weapons, OK. He’s like the fat boy in Dickens, he wants to make our flesh creep. He wants us to think about it. He’s never going to do it.”

https://www.gbnews.uk/news/putin-is...iver-more-weapons-and-face-catastrophe/428759
Putin has been saying for at lest 6 months he would not use nukes unless Russia was attacked. I don't believe this new statement is any different from what Putin has stated previously.

The danger is that NATO is supplying Ukraine with longer range weapons and seemingly urging Ukraine to attack Russia. I don't know if they think Putin is bluffing, but they are playing a dangerous game with Ukrainian lives.

· Registered
5,664 Posts
Putin has been saying for at lest 6 months he would not use nukes unless Russia was attacked. I don't believe this new statement is any different from what Putin has stated previously.

The danger is that NATO is supplying Ukraine with longer range weapons and seemingly urging Ukraine to attack Russia. I don't know if they think Putin is bluffing, but they are playing a dangerous game with Ukrainian lives.
There are a lot of dangerous games going on everywhere. But, the most dangerous one Putin initiated by invading a non-hostile neighbor and killing innocent civilians and laying waste to cities in a vain attempt to be someone of importance in history. He is not.

· Registered
10,536 Posts

I suspect that Putin’s most recent tantrum is in response to this development:

…or, as worded by the propagandists that do Comrade River’s thinking for him:

At the very least, the west is hoping for Ukraine to make some inroads to taking back Crimea so that it is included in any talks that might end this war, giving Ukraine back its Black Sea oil claims, and making Putin pay a price beyond the crippling of his armaments and an entire generation of his subjects’ male contingent.

Russia will not long be the personal property of Putin once his madness is shown as the cause for losing his greatest conquest in his time in the Chairman’s seat.

· Registered
5,664 Posts
We all know Biden isn't in charge. I am still sticking with Putin isn't in charge either, if he is still alive. None of this has made any sense from the get go.

· SM Entrepreneuraholic
18,605 Posts
Ukraine Rocked By Corruption Scandal, Wave Of Top Officials Resign: Sports Cars, Mansions & Luxury Vacations As People Suffered

The Ukrainian government on Tuesday confirmed the resignation of multiple high ranking officials amid large-scale corruption allegations, in what's being called the biggest mass resignation and graft scandal since the Russian invasion began.

Some dozen officials have quit their posts after a huge political shake-up over allegations and probes into cases ranging from bribery, to mismanagement of aid funds for purchasing food, to embezzlement, to driving expensive cars while common people suffer under wartime conditions.

A top presidential adviser and four deputy ministers - among these two defense officials, along with five regional governors were forced out of their posts. And among the regional governors to step down included officials overseeing regions which have seen intense fighting, including the Zaporizhzhia and Kherson regions, where Russian forces have lately reported gains.

Based on other reports I have seen, next will be high ranking military officers.

301 - 320 of 463 Posts