More about my new cow!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by willow_girl, Aug 13, 2004.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Told my boss this morning that I had purchased #95, AKA "Twister" (the name I gave her because she has a white marking on her face that looks exactly like a tornado!).

He was amused. (He is a nice guy.)

I told him I didn't expect to get registration papers for a slaughter price, but he offered to give them to me anyway. I'm hoping he'll bring them in soon so I can find out more about her.

He said she was born in Georgia! He bought her at a sale downstate (MI) right after she'd had her first calf. Guess she was one of the first registered cows he and his wife purchased when they started out on their own.

He said she comes from very good bloodlines, and one of her full brothers is in the A.I. program! :eek: He says she will easily do 100# a day upon freshening. Guess I'd better plan on starting a dairy -- or drowning in milk!

He's had 2 calves out of her. I'm not sure exactly when her fertility problems started, sounds like it has been ongoing. He says she's had problems with cysts. She's cycling normally now, he didn't think she's aborting her fetuses, she's just not settling.

He said he noticed signs of heat Wednesday when he was loading her, which will help me track her cycles and hopefully figure out what is going on here!

Incidentally, all 3 of her calves so far have been bulls, which means the next 3 ought to be heifers, right?!? :haha:

(Yes I know I'm being overly optimistic. I'll be happy just to get some kind of baby out of her!)

2. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Did he have her checked by a vet or is he making his diagnosis based on experience, I'm assuming the latter. If you have a vet, maybe you can call and see what they can tell you about ovarian cysts. If your vet is busy and not able to give you much time, perhaps you can check the Merks manual online and see what you can find out.

3. Sandhills

Sandhills Well-Known Member

If he uses a vet for preg check then it would have been a vet that diagnosed the cyst. Ask if you can see the preg check records for her. When we used to milk we got all that info from the vet on preg check day and he gave us a record sheet that we wrote those things down on. Hopefully this dairyman keeps the same type of records.

4. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Thanks guys! I will ask when I see him tomorrow.