More about calf treatment

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Errin OH, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Errin OH

Errin OH Member

I found out what the deal was with the other fella and the scours. He not only adds eggs to the milk replacer, he is also adding oat meal. Best I can figure if they didn't have the viral infection they wouldn't crap for a week.

Also explains why the supplier is so curious to see if I can find an effective treatment (medical) for them. He is still feeding waste milk and doesn't want to add a bunch of solids to the cows milk.

So I have another question. I presently mix corid in the water that is used to make my milk replacer. Thus treat them it in the moring with the moring feeding. If he were to make a solution (per instructions). Would there be an issue with mixing 1 oz of solution (corid & water) with 2 quarts cows milk and feeding? Contamination concerns?

2. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I do not see a problem mixing corid with milk. The oatmeal certainlt will help bind things up. Interesting.

3. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

i use delivery to bind them up...but ready to learn new tricks......wonder if is raw oat meal or cooked ?????

4. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm concerned to hear that he is still feeding waste milk to his replacement heifers. Does he test for Johne's? I ask because if he doesn't and he most likely has it (every farm in this area has had to deal with it at this point) and it can be passe dto those calves via the milk. We've been clean for a year but been feeding milk replacers for almost three years now (after they get their dam's colostrum of course).

If he is testing and clean, then waste milk is great for them. We are going to go back to feeding waste milk as soon as we are clean again for four years straight.