Moody mare

Discussion in 'Equine' started by Maple Leaf Farm, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I prefer mares as well.

aoconnor1 and Pamela like this.
  2. Maple Leaf Farm

Maple Leaf Farm Member

I don't really have a preference for mares or geldings, a good horse is a good horse and I do think she was allowed to get away with lots of nonsense from her previous owner. We've made lots of progress but she is way more hormonal than any mare I have ever had. She just finished her heat yesterday and I do have to say she did pretty good once I got her attention and she realized I wasn't intimidated by her. I rode her almost everyday of her cycle. Coronavirus has been good for my riding time!

Irish Pixie likes this.

3. aoconnor1

aoconnor1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thats awesome to hear about your new mare! I love them, but they can be a little cranky at times:) I ride them through those times, and haven't had a problem as yet. I probably just jinxed myself though!

Maple Leaf Farm likes this.
  4. jennigrey

jennigrey Well-Known Member Supporter

I prefer mares to geldings. This new mare I brought home is well-mannered in hand but a female dog in the field, as she was allowed to be one at her previous home. She's far too free with her heels out in the pasture. But we've laid down the law and she's coming around. The BB gun has been brought into play a few times, as the Hand of God. Too bad my alpha mare is a little too old to really bring the hammer down on Ms female dog. Five years ago it would have been another matter entirely.

Irish Pixie likes this.
  5. jennigrey

jennigrey Well-Known Member Supporter

HT has an auto-correct for the b-word? That's fancy!

Irish Pixie likes this.
  6. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

Hi jennigrey! Long time, no see. I'm glad you're back. I always considered you the HT driving expert.