Month old calf

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by KellyHill, Jun 1, 2004.

1. KellyHill

KellyHill Well-Known Member

Hi I'm a newbie to this site! I have a three week old Jersey calf that I'm raising on goats milk. I plan on eating him next fall. when should I castrate him? My dh "checked" him a week or so ago and he was'nt ready yet, how long does it take for them to drop? I've raised calves before, but its been a few years and I don't remember.
    We let him out into a small pasture for the first time yesterday, he ran in a big circle for a while! jumpin and bucking! very funny! until he saw dh (who always brings him his bucket of milk) and ran to him for food! went right through the hot wires! So next time we are going to stand where he can't see us until he learns about the fence.

Kathy

2. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

at 3 weeks old you should be able to band him.. I don't do mine until they are about 3 to 4 weeks old just my own personnal preferance...But I know most do it when they are about a week old. I think that's right anyway.. :eek:

3. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I don't have a Jersey, but I banded my Holstein calf when he was 12 weeks old and newly weaned...it was so easy - Dh gave him a bottle while I slipped up behind him. He was so enthralled with getting a bottle again that he didn't even *notice* I was back there messing with him!!! :haha:

-Sarah

4. KellyHill

Thanks! I'll have dh check him again tonight when he feds him.

Kathy

5. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

The commercial beef people that I know wait till 6-8 months of age ,of course if he's to be freezer beef this fall why waste your time banding him, It will just result in more fat on the carcass.if he's banded.

6. KellyHill

I meant to say next fall, so he'll be about 18 months old when we butcher him! I really, really don't need a lonly jersey bull "helping" me around the farm! Lol!

Kathy

7. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I would say it will depend on the method you plan on using. If you are going to surgicaly casterate, I would wait until the flies die off next fall. If you can find a farmer with a burdizo (bloodless casterator), I would also wait until fall, this method works better when they have a little size to them. If banding, go ahead and do it any time, but still keep on eye out for flies and infection.