Montana: a newbie question to this forum

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bushranger, Jun 23, 2005.

1. bushranger

bushranger New Member

Hello all,

I am glad that I found this forum today, and I have been using the Search tool to find threads on Montana.
    Please forgive my ignorance, so far I know Montana only from pictures and articles on the web.
    The more I look at it, the more I like to move up there (currently I live in Phoenix, AZ). I am planning to pay a visit there soon.

My question is: What part of Montana where the temperature in the summer never past 90 F, if any. Or never past 100 F ?
    I don't mind with cold temps and snow in winter, strong wind is ok too (I lived in VT long ago, I missed 4 seasons)
    Today's high temp here is 110 F, yesterday was 113 F, I couldn't stand it.

I have a lot more questions, but let me start with the temperature question.
    I hope I could find a few acres there where I could raise chickens and have a small vegi garden (and a greenhouse)

Thank you all :)

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Montana is a BIG state with a wide variation of weather patterns, but it can and does reach 100 plus anywhere in the state. The big difference is, it's usually only for a couple weeks and on top of that, not usually a humid heat, so it's somewhat tolerable. The other plus is that it almost always cools down a bit at night.

As you've noticed, there are lots of Montanans on the board, and even former Montanans like myself, (now Idhaoan, but just across the line), so ask away.

Here in the Idaho panhandle, Tuesday, the first day of summer, exceeded 90 degrees and ended up the day with record wind gusts. Not the norm either one.

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

The highest temp we have had in the 15 years i've been on this mountain was 91. Each summer, usually end of July beginning of August we get hot and dry. Average daily temps are in the mid to upper 80's and nights in the 50-60 range. I am due east of Warm Springs Montana across the interstate and then up to the top of the mountains. I am from Tucson so I am familiar with the temps down there too! Wouldn't trade my mountain for all of Arizona!

4. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

Welcome to the forum! We've been in MT for a
    year now and have been surprised how many
    people find this to be such a desirable place to live.
    I think if you keep close to one of the many
    mountain ranges you'll avoid the worst of the heat.
    Some of the dry parts in Eastern MT are affordable
    due to less work, but around the parks and resort
    areas, be prepared to pay $10-30k per acre to put
    your greenhouse and raise those birds on!

5. bushranger

bushranger New Member

Thank you bare, sisterpine, and sheep tamer for the response and your warm welcome.
    I guess the ideal place for me would be someplace near the mountains.
    Also you mentioned that some parts of Montana (west) are quite expensive, probably because everyone wanted to move there :)
    I am hoping to be able to make a trip this Fall or sometime next year just to see and experience the area myself.

Someone also mentioned that some area's water resources are scarce. I reckon I have to deal with that eventually :)
    I am very inspired by the idea of sustainable living by having read articles in Backwoodshome, Countryside, and Mother Earth News magazines. Hence my dream of having vegi garden and hobby farm.

Let me browse around these fine forum for more info about vegi gardening in Montana (soil, water resources), zoning and building code (I am planning to build my own little cabin with some underground structure underneat), and if I have more questions I will post them on this board.

Thank you again for the response, I really appreciate it. :)

6. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

Went to Whitefish, MT back in 2002 for my reunion and - Flathead Valley (Whitefish, Kalispell, Columbia Falls) has gotten up there in price also - lots of McMansions, etc...and of course Big Mountain Ski Resort is in Whitefish...but Whitefish is still beautiful if you can afford it.

JackieA