Monsanto in disguise is even more Dangerous

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mysticokra, Nov 6, 2005.

1. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

As if the all the damage that Monsanto has done to the farmers, their families and the people who trust them wasn't enough, now they have paid advocates spreading malicious lies about some truly wonderful and enlightened people.

See http://www.milkismilk.com/2005/09/weston-price-citizens-for-health-et.html

I found out that both Alex Avery and his father, Dennis, have been employed both directly and indirectly by Monsanto.

For details see http://www.cgfi.org/about/aavery_bio.htm (the hudson inst site)
    http://www.gmwatch.org/profile1.asp?PrId=14 (GM food watch site)

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that Avery's articles would be so vituperative, but it does make rational discourse difficult.

The beauty of the internet, though, is that questions can get re-visited beyond the original "sound bite" until the truth bubbles to the top.

If you want a barometer for how much the "homesteading spirit" is threatening modern corporate America, this is it.

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

He sounds just like our buddy Arbor( you know,the paid consultant),same style even.Came out of the same genetically engineered pea pod it would appear.Not that Monsanto would do such a thing,gosh no. :nana:

BooBoo

3. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.

can someone explain what "monsanto" is i have no clue!!!

4. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Infuriating bullcrap.

After reading that, I realized I already wrote a rebuttal a few days ago in the way of a letter to the editor of my local newspaper.

I must be psychic. Here is what I wrote:

I was delighted to see an article on organic foods in the Nov. 3 issue of TRN, but frustrated that there were so few details on why organic is better. Unfortunately, I can't be very detailed now if I'm to keep my letter short enough to print. I'll touch on a few basics, and anyone interested
    in learning more can research online and at the bookstores.

Hundreds of research studies have proven the harmful effects of pesticide
    residues in our bodies. They mimic estrogen and cause many problems, among those lowered fertility in males and hormone imbalances in both sexes. And of course there is a clear link between pesticides and cancer.

Conventional farming practices are destroying the soil instead of rebuilding
    it. Organic farming builds up the soil, and organic crops resist drought and disease better. I read a feature in a farm magazine about a wheat farmer who has broken with tradition in his area. He has changed 2 of his farming practices to organic methods. One, he spreads manure from nearby
    horse farms and feedlots, which he gets free for the taking, on his fields instead of using chemical fertilizers. Two, instead of baling his straw and letting most of it rot, he plows it in to hold in the moisture and keep the soil pliable. The result: an abundant wheat crop every year, even when his
    neighbors lose their crops to drought or other of nature's furies. He also
    gets a premium price because the quality of his grain is so high. He is in profit every year.

On the economic side, smaller farms and ranches that have spent years
    teetering on the edge of bankruptcy and have been convinced by organic farmers' co-ops to go organic have done a complete financial turnaround by finding themselves with lower operating costs (in the long run),
    and a higher price for their product. Not to mention they become practically
    immune to a fickle market, since the demand for organic is growing faster than the supply.

According to the USDA website, organic farming is the fastest growing segment of agriculture. The USDA's publication Amber Waves reports that consumer demand for organic foods is growing at the rate of 20%
    annually. Yet only 0.3% of farm and ranch land is devoted to it. The demand
    is so high, and U.S. supply so low, that organic food companies are contracting with Mexican and Central American farmers to produce organic crops for the U.S. market.

Many consumers would like to go organic but believe they cannot afford it.
    But with careful planning it can be done. Do the math and you'll find most junk foods cost several dollars per pound. Replace them with organic fruits and popcorn. MarketStreet United has a large selection of organic foods. They have organic bananas, oranges, apples and pears ranging from only 79 cents to $1.99/lb. Replace expensive convenience and fast foods with home cooked organic meals. At MarketStreet I find my organic potatoes, carrots, cornmeal, flour, pasta, cereal and other organic staples at very affordable prices.

In the longer run, financial benefits from going organic is realized from
    savings in medical costs due to illness, and fewer sick days at work. The risk of cancer, diabetes and heart disease is dramatically lowered, as are a reduced incidence of colds, flu, and other acute illnesses.

I read a long, detailed article about a school in California which decided
    to begin serving healthy, organic breakfasts and lunches to the children. The initial reasoning was for physical health benefits, which was borne out by greatly reduced sick days. But astonished teachers and parents
    observed some unexpected results. The children became calm, happy, and well behaved practically overnight. Grades soared. Asthmatic attacks virtually disappeared. ADHD meds were reduced in some children, eliminated in others. All this was convincing enough to many of the parents to go organic at home as well.

I was disappointed that the TRN article didn't mention the harmfulness of
    non-organic dairy products. Many dairies give hormone injections to their cows to increase milk production. Although the dairy industry insists that this does not increase the hormone levels in milk, Dr. Samuel Epstein, Chairman of the Cancer Prevention Coalition, warns that higher levels of "Insulin-like Growth Factor-l" in the milk from treated cows may lead to human breast cancer. Furthermore, these cows that are pushed to producing more milk than nature intended are at high risk for mastitis (an udder disease). To combat this problem, dairy farmers who use the hormone treatments give their cows higher levels of antibiotics.

Such increased use of antibiotics for food-producing animals is a major cause of resistance to antibiotics when treating human bacterial infections. These antibiotics do help keep the cows alive, but many of them still suffer from a continuous low-grade mastitis infection. This in turn causes them to produce such a high level of pus in their milk that some countries have banned non-organic dairy product imports from the U.S. Although all cows do not carry the infection, and all dairies do not use the hormone treatments, the milk from affected cows is mixed in with unaffected milk at the processing plants, contaminating all of it. Organic milk is nutritious, flavorful, and safe. I buy mine
    at MarketStreet for $4.99/gal. It's also available at Albertsons. If you absolutely cannot afford organic dairy products, buy at Braums, which only uses milk from non-treated cows. But organic is always healthier if you can manage it.

I'm urging everyone, for the sake of health, to consider going organic, or
    at least as natural as possible. Those on a tight budget can compare prices on organic and whole grain staples at MarketStreet, Albertsons, Brookshires, and Sunshine Natural Foods. But remember you can't put a price on your family's health!

I could have said so much more, but had to keep it short.

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Just do a search here, and you will find a 6+ page discussion and then search google..

First do a "monsanto" google search.

then do a "Monsanto evil" google search.

:)

factually they are the creaters of roundup ready beans, rapeseed, and other GM plantstock.

6. Arborethic

Arborethic Well-Known Member

Your first link is a BLOG. Do you know what a BLOG is? That isn't a site with an unbiased viewpoint. A blog is a site aimed a a PERSONAL viewpoint! Anyone that quotes a 'blog' as factual is aiming for a slanted POV.

You're second link is focused more upon politics and vague 'injustices' than science. Can you provide any concrete information concerning your primary claim, rather than a 'political' site?

Geez, if you want political, I can provide a thousand sites to PROVE the moon is made of green cheese!

7. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

The point of quoting the BLOG was to give first hand evidence of what Avery is doing, not to promote his viewpoint. I was hoping to capture the extent to which Monsanto is going to try to control the public discourse on any aspect that contradicts their promotional material.

This thread was not meant to be one that offered the scientific details of why raw milk and organic eating is healthier way to live, but rather to stimulate conversation about what happens when a large enough group of people pursue that choice.

8. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ah, it's just Arborethics schtick, read it with a grain of salt. Although I would be interested in reading the thousands of links (or even twenty) that proved the moon was made of green cheese. :nana:

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Im sure we could find a person here able to produce 30 studies in ten minutes. :bash:

BooBoo

10. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Instead of attacking the SOURCE (logical fallacy) DISPROVE what it SAYS.