Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a nuc about a month ago, and the poor things have been having a time of it. First, the nuc was not in great shape. When I had a chance to bring them home and look in the box, there were a LOT of dead bees in it. I think there were only about 500 alive, and the bottom of the nuc was covered in larva. I am not sure what that was all about, as they looked like they had just recently been put there.

Set it up and kept an eye on it, gave them some supplemental nectar, and crossed my fingers. Couldn't find the queen, but decided to leave them alone and see what happened. A few weeks later, there was almost no activity in and out of the hive and, while watching, I saw a wasp trying to get in. So the poor hive was trying to fight off robbers. Set up a screen and hoped for the best. Checked the nectar, and there was almost no change. Waited a week, then took the screen off, and saw a slow but steady traffic flow but still not much. Then my first hive decided to try to rob the new hive, so the screen had to go back on.

Today, I did a full hive exam on both hives. My original hive is slamming, filling up their second honey super. The new hive is FINALLY starting to look like they might survive. Capped brood, so the queen is in there somewhere. About half the nectar used. Now, if they don't get robbed again, they MIGHT just make it to winter!

·
Super Moderator
12,607 Posts
Take a couple frames of brood from the orginal slamming hive to boost the nuc hive. Continue to feed sugar syrup too.

Al

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am thinking about doing that. Just keeping an eye on things right now to see if they come back on their own. The weather is nice and there is still plenty of pollen and nectar to be had, so they have some time to rebound before I have to start really worrying. If they are still struggling by September, I will probably give them a frame of resources as well, just to play it safe.

·
Super Moderator
12,607 Posts
I my self would not wait do it now and give a much needed boost.
I would be intrested on how the capped brood looked.

Al

1 - 5 of 5 Posts