Money-Making Idea for the Wimmins

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by amelia, Oct 2, 2004.

1. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

I was in the front of a big-city supermarket today when I saw a display of hand-made "gift sacks." They were made out of two rectangles of cotton cloth sewn together, with a 1-inch hem at the top through which a brightly colored ribbon had been threaded. They were selling for $3 to $4 a piece, a price very competitive with the cheap paper gift sacks that were sitting next to them. I imagine that someone even minimally proficient with a sewing machine could bang out ten of these in a couple of hours. Profit margin would be nearly 100 percent for somebody with spare fabric lying around. Not a huge money-maker, but probably a decent idea for a part-time income.

2. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I made gift sacks for Christmas presents one year out of flannel backed holiday table clothes on sale after the season the year before. I threaded the closure with red yarn and my friends told me they used them later to wrap their annual decorations in afterwards.

3. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

My DILs sister makes those. Its a great idea, we have the same ones going around and around the family, saves a fortune on wrapping paper.

4. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

I bet that would be a good "learn to sew" project for the kids! (Light bulb goes on over my head! :haha

Ann