money is evil

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcdreams, Aug 3, 2005.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

does anyone else think money is evil? If you think of all the problems it causes - poverty, greed, murder.. etc

since we are all (or strive to be) homesteaders, who things that they can scrape by on a lot less?

I tend to think that, while you can to some extent cut , it cost far to much to live in the city. You can't up and decide you don't want utilities anymore, at least here, thats against city regulations.

I also feel it is far easier to be poor in the country than in the city. Personally I'd prefer to be poor in a place I like than in a place that drives me near nervous breakdown.

I know we can't do entirely without money (not in a capitalist society anyway) . The government always has its hand out for taxes and anything else it "needs for our own good".

But I'm certain that (assuming everything is paid off) one could live subsistantly by working a month or two at most off the homestead.

Thoughts?

2. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

My take on this is that money is an inanimate object. It is the emphasis that is placed on it that can become negative and soul shrinking.

I could certainly give up all of my frou frou luxuries if I chose to do so. Yes, I think that living in the country may be cheaper if you can STAY there. Add in a long commute to support your country lifestyle and the cost increases, as does your reliance on costly conveniences to save yourself the time lost in commuting.

But all in all, I think you are right. And yet the way our society is structured, you are going to have to have SOME money, it's just geared that way.

hollym

3. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

precisely. :)

as far as lifestyle goes :shrug: we're pretty simple folk, as long as we have food, shelter, a book or three to read, were set.

this internet and computer are about the only luxuries we have (and it would be ever so easy to give em up.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Money in itself isn't evil as a means of fair exchange.
    Motivation behind using money in a greedy or improper manner is not only evil, but people doing this are corrupt.

5. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Well, for the last few months I doubt anyone has lived on the little amount of money, I have been living on. But things have improved and I am in a better frame of mind.

DH says that money is everything in our society. Even your families don't want anything to do with you if you don't have money. They don't like it if you have a older vehicle (paid for) and have a house that is a fixer up (almost paid for) or live on a dirt road. Our families don't like it because we don't go out to restaurants (they like to get together that way and they are way out of our price range).

Yet compared to other family members, we are not in debt and they have good jobs and make good money but keep taking out second mortgages on their houses.

We have been able to survive only because we live off the grid and homestead. And that included taking care of 3 beautiful horses, 4 cats and a big dog. They always have come first with us. But if we lived anywhere else, we would have been out in the street.

6. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

I don't think money is evil. My theory (if I ever was going to do a thesis this would be my topic) is that all of the world's problems would be solved by respect for others and other's things. You can't steal if you respect, you can't kill if you respect, you can't let someone starve if you respect them (and have the means to feed them), you can't short change someone you respect...well, you get the idea. Calling money evil gives earning it a negative connotation...it's sad when those who earn a healthy living are looked down upon. JMHO.
    --f.g.

7. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

That's a pretty cool theory, Froggirl. I would say that the word 'love' could also be an insert.

Now I can live simply and have many times. And my current lifestyle has it's share of little nono goodies that I enjoy, I don't NEED them, but I enjoy them. But I don't know how much I'd miss them if say, survival, or even saving money for land, or something that I value were at stake.

I do have to have LOTS of books, lol, well, you know what I mean, don't have to, of course, but certainly love to. And I know you can check them out, but I like for them to be MY books and to know that they are in my house any time I want to read them. Ditto with music CD's. And I do have a jones for an occasional Starbucks or a really nice bottle of Shiraz or Merlot, not to mention Brie, European chocolate, and nice scented products.

SO...now that I'm probably fired from this site, lol, I still agree with ya'll and since I started reading on here have been trying to eat more naturally and better, buy more American made goods, not be such a little hedonist, etc. So you are actually all a good influence on me.

hollym

8. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Now, I'm of the opinion you can live more cheaply in an urban area than a rural one, and possibly even "better" depending on how you define "better."

What I'm certain of, having lived both ways, is I'd rather be poor (at the bottom of the town's income scale) in a rich town, then rich in a poor one. What I'm bringing home is the same amount, but in a "rich" town the money goes much further. Wealthy communities like nice things. Things like recreation paths, good libraries, concerts, bakeries, and restaurants. There's a lot of things one can't afford, of course (theater tickets spring to mind immediately), but a lot of these recreational opportunities are largely free. You can order the inexpensive stuff on the restaurant menu, you can buy day old pastries and bread.

When I've lived in poorer rural communities everything was "more expensive" because there was nothing there. No bakery, no restaurants, no cultural persuits... the community couldn't support them. So you had to commute outside of the community if you wanted to experience these things. Plus it was always awkward being the couple who commuted to the "good jobs" elsewhere.

So I'd rather pay a little extra to live in a "rich town" and have access to the recreation and cultural events than to live in a poor one and not.

9. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been broke, and I've been high on the hog.
    Let me tell you, being broke sucks!

10. DutchessR

DutchessR Well-Known Member

I liked the comparison I read in an economics book a while back--money is the intermediary language for the exchange of goods and services. Money is the means to make a reasonable valuation of goods, not so much an item per se. I suppose one could idealize a perfect barter system where money was unecessary, but the use of currency has, in history, been prerequisite for progress.

11. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

My Dad used to say: "Money isn't the problem, it's lack of money that's a real problem!"

12. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

You said it! I argree with that statement 100%!!!!!!!

13. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................Money isn't evil , in and OF itself . What I've observed is that folks who have been living paycheck to paycheck will receive a large amount of money all at once , say 1,000,000 from the lotto . The first thing they should Do is properly construct the legal safehaven to preserve this windfall for future years . Basically setting up a trust , with a designated fudiciary to manage the trust in case something happens to either or both parents so the Kids wll be taken care of in future years . Instead , it's buy , buy , buy , then the close family members start trying to cut themselves in for a slice and walla it's ALL gone , fordy.. :shrug:

14. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Money itself is not evil, it is an object. The problem stems from us needing money in our society. The more money you have, the more you can buy - not necessarily things you NEED, but things you WANT.

I believe most humans are the jealous type. (Notice I said MOST, I didn't say ALL!) If your neighbor has a good job, you want a good job or a better job. If your neighbor has a nice car, you want a nice car or nicer one. Same thing goes for house, property, whatever. Keeping up with the Jones' syndrome.

As for your comment "But I'm certain that (assuming everything is paid off) one could live subsistantly by working a month or two at most off the homestead."

You will of course need money to pay the taxes, need money for food you can't grow yourself, need money for the necessities of the upkeep of your house (you don't want the roof leaking), etc. Another big item is health care. If you don't have health insurance, your nice homestead will now belong to the hospital if you get sick and need some kind of operation.

While alot of things people buy today are actually WANTS & not NEEDS, if they have the money to do it (and it was gotten the legal way), what difference does it make how they spend it? And if your neighbor wants to live high on the hog paying everything with a credit card & another mortgage, that is THEIR problem and not yours.

While the "Little House On The Prarie Lifestyle" may be one you are looking for, unless you have a nest egg built up for taxes & emergencies, and health insurance in place before you live on your little piece of heaven (unless you plan on dying at home and not going to the doctor for any reason!), it probably won't work.

But I digress. Money isn't evil, people ARE evil.

15. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

I do beleive that fiat currencies are inherantly evil it gives to much power to a few hidden unaccountable people.
    Gold isnt inherantly evil though as the bible teaches the "love of money is the root of all sorts of evil" But when we get to heaven the streets are going to be paved with gold and no evil thing is allowed in heaven so gold itself obviously isnt evil.

16. dakani

dakani Well-Known Member

Was this question prompted by the common misquote "money is the root of all evil", when it really is "love of money is the root of all evil"?

17. sdrew

sdrew Well-Known Member

For those of you who truly believe money is EVIL,... you must get rid of it.. ALL of it !!! For a safe place to send it, PM me, and I'll provide an address for you to send it,.. to help cleanse your souls ! ;)

18. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

The Love of money is what causes all you said. people cause the problem not the money.

19. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

I agree that it's technically not the money -
    it's greed that's evil...

20. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

THanks for the thread, I was just thinking today that I wish I could start over and do it all again. My Darn Hubby Keeps spending money, makes me want to strangle him. I am so contemplating selling his brand new $400.00 lawn mower. (yes that was $400.00.) (insert shocked smilie here) and all I ever hear is "don't spend any money". GRRRRRRRR I hate money!!!!!!!