Money from the Homestead

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mongohardbottle, Nov 30, 2003.

1. mongohardbottle

mongohardbottle Member

I have been a homesteader for about 10 years, trying to be as self sufficient as possible. We have raised rabbits, chickens, sheep, goats and gardened. All of these things fed the family but there was never much money brought in. The eggs from the chickens were the only thing that made money till now.

I have been a musician all my life playing semi-professional and as a week-end warrior in classic rock bands and solo folk acts, this also brought money into the family but I think I have found my money maker, building dulcimers.
    http://dulce-melos-dulcimers.freeservers.com/

If you look at the link you will see some of my work, The photo of the two side by side makes them look short and dumpy, they are not it's just the photo (which I need to fix)

In the main photo you see #0004 leaning against a cedar split rail fence, that is the same material that #0004 is made from. I friend of mine was clearing some land for a person and needed a place to take the wood to and ask me if I wanted it...He brought me all of the cedar that surrounded 40 ACERS!

So must of my dulcimers are Cedar, but not all, I will make them out of anything. I am also starting to make mission furniture for our new (to us) homestead...

So what do you think?

Grant

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Oh, mane padme ohmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

I forsee trips to the renescance fairs in your future....................

ohmmmmmmmm.........

3. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

They are beautifull ! I read some were once the older the wood the better the sound.

4. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

You should definately consider getting a table at next years Kent State Folk Festival. You would certainly get some orders from people.

Mike

5. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Very nice. The possibilities of homeplace income are only limited by perspective. I am beginning to manufacture oak shillelaghs and canes here. I have even learned how to make graphic guides using my PC to be able to better carve snake heads and nude nymphs on the staffs. After I perfect my technique, its off to area flea markets and celtic fairs for me . ;)

6. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

You are a talented artist!

There is a couple who live a couple of mountains away from me...the man began making homemade dulcimers a few years ago....

Now he and his wife teach a course at a junior college in the next county once or twice a year where each student builds a dulcimer and learns to play a few simple songs on it. It's about a 6 to 8 week course, one night a week. You could do that! Either at a junior college or at your farm too!

Once again, your work is beautiful!

7. cindybode

cindybode Well-Known Member

How much are you asking for them? My dh has always wanted one . . .

Cindy

8. mongohardbottle

mongohardbottle Member

I PM'ed you the answer

9. BillHoo

BillHoo Well-Known Member

It all has to do with what your state defines as a farm. In NJ, you need a minimum of 5 acres of land and generate $500 a year in farm products.

I think one of our former governors listed her home as a farm and got thousands in tax breaks. Being that she had her own horses on the land, I'm guessing she sold a lot of horse manure to friends and family and kept the receipts to justify the "farm" definition.

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

That's the spirit.
    One main reason I like living on my terms in the country to help generate some income. Been on this property 15 years, mostly working full time away.
    Did some limited market gardening sales and the bit of duck, eggs, and few turkeys sold.
    Set up my business starting with baitfish harvesting far off in the bush away from the homestead. Some minnows harvested off ponds behind for the store I set up selling fishing tackle and custom fishing rod craft.
    Was fate as in 1999 a bid to purchase inventory and lease of a busy tackle store 50 miles away fell through as the owner who accepted it died and her daughter took into her hands to decide selling it to her buddy. Figured might as well invest to put a commercial drive to the property store next door and live and work here. It's a challenge and a struggle, but other potential possibilities exist down the road as I 'semi retire' from 'career' jobs and will harness the benefits of living off my land and 'stead.
    Like Shrek says the homeplace income possibilities are only limited by your perspective.
    I can envision anything from Yak raising to an expansion with ice fishing ideas and heritage turkeys. A crafting studio that looks out onto the hanging bird feeders and the awesome sunset views to the west and the nordic ski trails having hot chilli on a cold winters day being warmed by the even wood heat inside. Now, that is 'making a living'........ :clap:

11. That's very good Mongo. You sound much like a cousin of mine. He has played country music since he was old enough to walk. Has had his own band since back in the early 60's. One day he found a old fiddle at a yard sale that the back wood was broken. He took it home and wittled another peice to replace it. Another musician seen what he had done and brought his to my cousin to repair. Well all that led to my cousin starting his own instument repair business out of his garage. He now owns a music store and does a lot of repair work for people. He still has a band but he only plays one night a week and holidays for special events. So I would say, goodluck! There's no telling where this might lead you.

12. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

Way to go; lovely! You have to hustle to make ends ends meet in this lifestyle. We've had a pretty discouraging year due to the frosts/freezes but have enjoyed it nonetheless. We've learned at this time we need another income besides my husbands in case we have a year like this again. Obviously with crazy weather/climate changes this year could be the norm. I'm taking CNA course so we have something to fall back on. Part-time would be nice in spring and summer. Truthfully, our best money maker was the asparagus - once established and with a market available we did very well with 4/l0 acre plot. Kudos to your obvious talent!!

13. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

You might want to consider adding a 1-1/2 fret, also. Makes it easier to do the blues-y stuff, which seems to be the upcoming dulcimer fad.

14. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Making money from a homestead and qualifying as a 'farm' for federal income taxes purposes are somewhat different concepts. For example, if your income is mostly from arts & crafts type items, you may have to report as a small business, rather than farm. Essentially the same expenses allowed.

Qualifying as a farm though may make a different in zoning, which can then affect property tax rates.

For those not familar with it, they can request a free e:Book copy of How to Earn Extra Income in the Country from me at scharabo@aol.com. Apparently hotmail.com can now handle the attachment size.

Ken Scharabok