Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are now over 48 hours post birthing of 3 kids. This is her 3rd time kidding with no previous complications. One of the kids died asap, the 2nd 24 hrs later, the 3rd is healthy and thriving. During morning checks, I noticed that momma is squatting to pee about every 2 minutes, but only dribbles. It's making me wonder if she's retained something? I can't imagine a 4th baby???? She doesn't seem to be straining and she's not vocalizing pain....just squatting almost constantly. She's definitely not her "normal" self, but she just had 3 babies. Her back end looks fine and it doesn't look like she's passing any infection (yet). Any ideas of what might be going on?

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,767 Posts
It's also not unusual for them to keep passing blood and mucus for up to a week.
As long as there are no bad odors or lots of fresh blood she may still just be "clearing" herself.

Check for a fever.

·
Registered
786 Posts
We lost my favorite (ever) Shetland ewe this past spring. She was older, and faithfully produced twins every year for the last few years. This spring she had only the one lamb. Then looked uncomfortable, kept going back to the area she'd lambed in, and squatting. For 2 days. I finally caught her and checked inside - no lamb, seemingly. Well, by the 4 th day she was down, took her to the vet, very large by then retained lamb, dead. Ewe soon followed, it had been too far for me to feel the 2nd lamb, but it had died and she became septic and didn't survive. So, long story short, have your vet check, there could possibly be another kid in there. Or at least they can check to see if she's got an infection or partly retained placenta, or even some swelling and damage from birth trauma causing her to act this way.
Sure hope yours has a better outcome, I wish a thousand times I'd just taken our ewe in on the 2nd day, but wishing don't make it happen, as they say. Good luck with her and your little kid flock :)

·
Super Moderator
12,836 Posts
It could be many things - inflammation and irritation of the pelvic canal, bruising of the urethra, retained placenta, another kid, urinary tract infection (which often has no fever until it ascends to the kidney and causes a pyelonephritis). If you work regularly with a vet, try to catch some urine when she squats (at least 5ml) and you can probably take it for a UA at your vet. If you don't, then the vet will likely want to examine. If it's just kidding trauma, anti-inflammatories such as meloxicam (Pain/inflammation), banamine (doesn't work great for visceral pain), or dexamethasone (inflammation only, no pain control) may be indicated, or if a UTI or retained membranes suspected perhaps a course of antibiotics that are effective at treating a metritis/UTI would be indicated.

Monitor temperature and consult a veterinarian if needed. Most mild metritis/RP's progress to a pyometra which isn't life threatening in ruminants. Given enough time,it usually resolves on its own. We treat it in cows which breed back sooner than goats usually do - so if present in most does after kidding, we probably don't notice because by the following fall several months later, it self resolves. If the metritis is severe, it can progress to a perimetritis or purpural metritis which is life threatening - but fairly rare in goats. Usually they show systemic illness and a fever, as well as dark, liquid, SMELLY (like realllllyyy smelly) vaginal discharge. Again, rare in goats but not impossible. I see it much more often in cattle.

An accurate diagnosis and effective treatment is important for all of these.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts