Mom needs help

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by airotciv, Nov 2, 2005.

1. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

My son has been in Bagdad for the last two years, he just came home 4 months ago. He was sent there and then signed up to go for another year. My question is. He spooks, every time something happens. Not sure how to help. He just went to sleep and I put a blanket on him. I know He spooked and I just kept saying It's your mom, It's ok. How do I help him get over the nightmares, Hope you understand what I'm saying.

2. Nick

Nick Nick

I am just now finishing my second tour in Iraq. i thnik the only thing that help is time and talking about some of the thing you have seen and done. your some may need to talk to someone who has been and seen and done the same or atleast similar things to him as it is impossable to explaine the emotions and memories to some one with no frame of referance.

Think of it like this, try to explain the color blue to someone who has always been blind. that is the difficulty many of us go through when we get home.

as for the "spooking" i dont know what helps other than time.

Nick
    SGT Titze
    US Army

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    In that I am PTSD still 35 years after Viet Nam I suggest you give him as much space as possible, no pressure about anything, no requirements - ever. PTSD is a life changing thing, you cannot ever exspect it to go away. You can only go away from it.

Go to the PTSD 'sticky' above this post, have him read the mental health link listed within it. It is the pathway that brought me a bit of peace.

The stress of battle field encounters destroys the brains thought pathways, the brain can be retrained, almost to original standards.

Get him to the V.A.'s healthcare immediantly and file for benifits, this could be a lifetime problem. And don't neglect to send Mr Bush a thank you note.

4. Turkeyfether

Turkeyfether Well-Known Member

iF YOU HAVE A FAIRLY DECENT LIBRARY, GET "A PIECE oF MY HEART".I forget the author's name.It deals w/ Viet Nam . Now, if you can locate that book in your library, the similar Dewey #'s will locate you to other books of excellant reading. When the kuwait war broke out,I pulled out several books on warfare nursing. Troops were to be flown into Fort Dix,NJ & then triaged out unto area hospitals.I wanted to find out as much as possible before we got hit with stuff. Well, I read 3 books."A Piece Of My HeaRT" was one of them. I spent 3 weeks crying at the drop of a hat.I was morose & weepy,just from reading those books.(5 of my high school friends were killed in Viet nam,so I had a tangible bond with these books.). Iraq & Afganistan are also dealing with guirrella warfare where you don't know who the enemy is until it's too late.I've lost a good friend in Iraq.A marine. A friend I worked with in a busy E.R. in NJ. Mom, he needs to get into counseling for Post Traumatic Stress. Don't allow him to take it lightly.~~~~ T.F.

5. BlueRidge

BlueRidge Well-Known Member

You don't. You just understand and give him space.

6. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks everyone, sorry about not replying sooner. Just that when the kids are home, they take over my computer. I understand that there is not much that I can do. But. I thank you for the info., and will check into it. Thanks again.

7. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

i second the va tip. get him in there and make sure he's taken care of as soon as you can. and yes, he needs to talk about what he experienced with someone,