moldy ear corn

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by lj, Jan 8, 2007.

  1. lj

    lj Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    55
    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2002
    I purchased some ear corn to put out for the deer on my land. I think the farmer picked it too moist as it has a bit of mold on it ( I have been keeping it in a clean dry place) My question : is it safe to feed the deer or will it make them sick? Thanks
     
  2. palani

    palani Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,322
    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2005
    Don't know about deer but a local dairy farmer just spent $10,000 on vet bills clearing up problems with his cows due to feeding moldy ear corn.
     

  3. js2743

    js2743 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    845
    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2006
    Location:
    scott county, virginia
    not sure if it was picked to early. here it molded because there was so much rain early on and the rain went inside the shuck before the corn broke over to hang down. we raised 2 acres for feed and its got the same problem.
     
  4. uncle Will in In.

    uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    7,154
    Joined:
    May 11, 2002
    The deer are exposed to moldy corn all winter where field corn is grown. The combines miss at little in spots which lays on the ground and gets moldy. If it doesn't taste good, they won't eat it. You could wash most of the mold off the ears before putting them out for the deer.