Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What molds are you using? Did you make your own or did you buy them? If you made them, how did you make them? I love making soap and I have people that want it but molds are a problem. I was using a 9x13 cake pan but I'm not getting "pretty" bars out.

Also, what are ya'll using to cut the bars? Weigh them? Etc....

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'm in love with my Misty Creek 16 bar slab mold. It came with a cutter. It has to be lined, which can be a bit of a pain, but not too bad. One of these days I'd like to get a log mold too, for layered soaps.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i built a simple wooden box as a log mold. i have to line it with freezer papper, which is indeed a pain. it works well though. when i get caught up on the summertime chores, i plan to make a mold either with removable sides using threaded stock and wing nuts, or i will experiment with plexiglass to make inserts for a typical log mold. i am not sure of the lye will react to the plexiglass and discolor the soap, but i will find out, lol.

to cut the logs, i made a wooden device with a movable stop and a slot for a drywall/spackle knife.

check out the pics...

soap cutter

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
I made a simple log mold that I line with parchment paper. I cut mine with a kitchen bread scraper and a miter box that I purchased on sale from a hardware store.
Dawn

·
Registered
591 Posts
I bought some lengths of the u-channel that vinyl siding and windows guys put around a 2x4 to frame around windows. Actually the guy gave it to me for free because he'd never heard of anyone making soap before.

A friend cut me some blocks of 2x4 to be moveable stoppers, so I can pour as much as I want. I line it with parchment paper.

The depth of the channel is only about an inch and a half, so I just cut the bars three inches wide to make a nice 3x4x1" bar.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
i use some i bought at hobby lobby (on sale)
i also use loaf pans
plastic shoe boxes
plastic frozen juice containers (old orchard brand)
i just cut w/a knife, but i'm not looking to sell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a box that some of my canning jars came in and line it with freezer paper. This makes for a nice slab mold. I finally learned how to line it with minimal creases in the paper which of course end up in the soap. :) My bars are cut using a scraper tool that you scrape a large stove grill with.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
My dad made me a long, wooden mold with drop down sides. He also lined it with laminate so that the soap was nice and smooth; no freezer paper wrinkles. Only problem with that is the soap gets pretty hot and the glue softened, allow the laminate pieces to come out. Which...turned out to be a blessing, as I could then take them out for cleaning! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts