mold on curcurbits

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by LizinNH, Aug 8, 2004.

1. LizinNH

LizinNH Well-Known Member

I have a mold growing on all my curcurbits. Every area of the garden is affected. I assume it is being spread by insects, either grasshoppers or bees. My question is how do I controll it's spread organically? I have been removing and destroying the worst affected leaves and stems. I have tried spraying the smaller affected areas by hand with : 1 dish soap in water; litttle or no affect, 2. straight vinegar; great success at killing the mold but also the affected area of the leaves. Are there any other things I could try? Also how do I prevent it from coming back next year now that it is in the soil?
    Thank you in advance for any suggestions. It is spreading like wildfire, I don't want to lose all my squash, cukes and pumpkins.
    Liz in NH

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Are you overhead watering? The only way to keep it in control is to keep the foliage dry. I know it has been a wet year in lots of places. Mold is just natural in soil. There is no way to get rid of it. Mulching can help to keep soil from splashing up on the leaves.

3. Jimmy Mack

Jimmy Mack Well-Known Member

also, when are you watering? try watering in the morning. If you water in the evening your garden may be wet all night which helps contribute to the growth of mold and fungas.

good luck with that! Jimmy

4. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

I know baking soda mixed with water helps cut down on powdery mildew might help to spray some on the leaves of this mold , cant hurt might help.

5. LizinNH

LizinNH Well-Known Member

I have drip irrigation in the veggie garden, so no overhead watering. It has been very wet here this year. So I have not had to water often at all. I will try spraying with the baking soda today. I notice yesterday that new pumpkin fruits were dying before even fully developing the flowers. I hope this doesn't become a losing battle.
    Thanks for all your suggestions.
    Liz in NH