mold in the compost

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by apple, Mar 10, 2005.

1. apple

apple New Member

I have started a compost collection in my kitchen. I am just putting scraps in a plastic container with a snap lock grid. I noticed one of my banana peels is growing mold. Is this normal/desirable? Anyone? Thank you.

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

It's because it's too moiste. Most compost piles are open aired. You should have a container to save that stuff on your back porch, or somewhere else, where it is open and exposed, if you intend on saving prior to composting. That's what I do.

3. apple

apple New Member

thanks for the tip!

4. birdie_poo

FYI, my grandmother used to use a 1/2 gal milk carton, rinsed clean, to put her garden waste in, and kept it covered with a paper towel, secured with a rubber band to keep the fruit flies away.

5. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Well the question of how to keep stuff around the house - we keep stuff for the pigs, but it would apply the same to compost - is interesting to me because of
    * mice
    *fruit flies
    *smell :(
    *appearance

I was going to start keeping a container in the freezer, but I don't know.

Stuff gets taken out every day, but it doesn't take much to keep a family of mice happy under my sink, and on the counter is getting pretty tired.
    Suggestions?

6. birdie_poo

This is how I do it, at home. I have a container that is about as big as a 5 gallon bucket. It sits all by itself, so nothing can climb it, jump into it, drop down into it, etc. Every bit of compostables gets put in there. When it's about half-full, it's burried in the compst pile. I do have a time with the fruit flies, but outside, they aren't as big a bother as they are when in the house. I get a lot of little birdies that help keep the fruit fly population down, though.

7. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Wendy, do you keep it on the porch or in the kitchen?

8. birdie_poo

HAHA :haha: , I keep it about 30 feet from my front porch. It tends to smell, sometimes!