mold and mildew

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by januaries, Aug 3, 2005.

1. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

We've had a particularly wet summer here in Alabama, and nearly everything in my little house is molding. I don't have air conditioning, so closing up the house to "dry things out" isn't an option--even closing off a room is impossible since I don't have inside doors yet. Every basket has mold on it, chairs and desks, shoeboxes, leather shoes, leather jackets, bed frame, even all the little wooden beads of my bead-curtain! I keep cleaning, and it keeps coming back. ARRGH!!

Is there anything I can do to help prevent it, or slow it down? Any special kinds of cleaners? Keep fans going? Turn fans off? A certain oil I can rub on the wood? Or is there a type of cleaner I should be careful NOT to use? (Bleach damages the finish on wood, and isn't too good for leather either...Right now I just wipe it down and spray Lysol.) I'm so sick of the smell and the mess! I've actually considered closing up the house and lighting my wood stove just to dry things out, but I know it would all be damp again in a couple of days.

Please share some good advice!

(I may post this in the "families" forum, too...)

2. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

How well would a dehumidifier work?

3. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

I don't think it would work very well since I open my windows every night. The cool night air is my primary defense against the summer heat. I guess I could do the whole window-unit-air thing, but I really dislike that idea; I'd rather fight the mold than close up my house to fresh air.

What did people do 200 years ago to keep things from molding? Just have a maid cleaning constantly?

4. auntieemu

auntieemu Well-Known Member

When we lived in Corpus Christi, Texas we had a similar problem with one particular closet. If you left the door shut, you got mildew. Check out this link and see if any of it helps:mildew link

Maybe some of it can be used. I hope it will help.