Mold allergy- not psychosomatic

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Jenn, Jan 1, 2007.

  1. Jenn

    Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    7,222
    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2004
    Location:
    Alabama
    I have chronic allergic rhinitis but the past week my usual loratadine just hasn't been working- had almost been over a cold and thought maybe a new one starting- coughing every few minutes from constant drainage. Was able to control cough only with chlorpheneramine (CTM) (for only 4 hours each 4 mg though) or constant menthol drops past few days. Got up 2 am few nights ago and showered (wash hair of allergens); that and a CTM helped me until morning. Yesterday vacuumed bedroom; no definite change though a bag full of dust/hair! Today I finally found (I'm a bit unobservant) the preHalloween gourds had one of them totally turned into a mold bag in the shape of a gourd. SInce I took that out to the compost heap haven't needed another CTM. Hope that is the end of it... and will keep all fruit/veg /other possibly molding items under careful scrutiny.
     
  2. Yeti

    Yeti Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    162
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2006
    Location:
    southern Michigan
    I am wondering what you use to heat your house? I have been fighting mold over the years up here in Michigan where things tend to get damp and stay damp. but a couple years ago I switched to Hepa filters in my furnace and vacuum cleaners. I must say it has cut down on everyone being sick around here. I am just getting over my first case of broncitus in a couple of years that needed meds to knock out. one of the first things I got rid of was my humidifier. it was a mold factory and pumping the stuff into the air. I used a 50/50 bleach water mix in a spray bottle and any time I see mold I wipe it down with bleach. seems to keep it in check.
     

  3. Mid Tn Mama

    Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    6,395
    Joined:
    May 11, 2002
    Isn't it wonderful when you can locate and eliminate a source of allergy? I too am sensitive to mold. I have to be constantly watching the mold in the bathroom (cleaning the shower with bleach and washing the cloth shower curtain in bleach. We are diligent in the winter about running the bathroom fan.