moisture absorbers: dessicant gel packs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by suehi, Apr 28, 2006.

1. suehi

suehi Active Member

I have three desiccant gel packs that I got out of three purses that I bought today. I want to know if I can use these to put into my 5 gallon buckets for storing my beans, rice or wheat. Are the packets still useable? I have not been able to find the moisture absorbers anywhere. I checked wal-mart as someone suggested, but was unsuccessful. I am trying to avoid ordering online, although I do need some mylar bags. I just want to know if I can use these.

Suehi

2. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

You can use them and reuse them. I am not familiar with jell packs, but you can tke the granular tuff out of any paper or flamable wrapper and put it in a hot oven to refurbish it.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I explain what the dessicant packs are and how you can recharge them in the FAQ that you can reach via the URL in my signature below.

.....Alan.

4. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

You want silica gel it is reusable and you can buy it in bulk or packets here:
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=silica+gel
    Buy it in bulk and put it in a cloth bag and put it in with you seeds. When it changes color, gets loaded with moisture, you an put it in the oven and dry it back out to use again. Instructions should come with it.:cowboy:

5. Arklady

Arklady Well-Known Member

Ok, what's the difference between oxygen absorbers, and the gel packets and their uses... I don't want to mix up the different things and use them wrongly.

Arklady

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Oxygen absorbers absorb oxygen, the gas that we breathe to stay alive.

The gel packets are desiccants and what they absorb is moisture in the air, in other words water vapor.

I give detailed explanations of the two in the food storage FAQ that you can reach via the link in my signature below.

.....Alan.

7. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Are you teasing me? I can't see any link or URL.

8. Gunner0331

Gunner0331 Well-Known Member

Don't spend your money buying them. Pharmacies generate hundreds of them every day and just throw them away. Ask politely and they'll save them up for you.

Semper fi,
    Gunner

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

You may not have signatures turned on.

Here it is:

Alan's Stuff: The Prudent Food Storage FAQ and more.
    http://athagan.members.atlantic.net/Index.html

.....Alan.