Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my mockingbirds. They are the only birds that talk back to me!

I've noticed this fall they have a very long song that they do. And they don't like me interrupting them.

Does anyone know the meaning of their fall song? Are they trying to decide who flies south and who gets stuck protecting their territory for next Spring?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,180 Posts
I'm used to the southern mockingbirds, and they don't migrate. Had to google about it and found out that northern mockingbirds do! Interesting!

Our southern birds mainly mark territory with song.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm used to the southern mockingbirds, and they don't migrate. Had to google about it and found out that northern mockingbirds do! Interesting!

Our southern birds mainly mark territory with song.
When I looked it up, it seemed to me they were saying northern mockingbirds don't migrate, but I usually have 4 or 5 mockingbirds around my yard Spring through Fall, and then just 1 over the Winter. I'm thinking if one doesn't have a mate, it gets stuck staying around all Winter.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Ha ha.. I had to smile. I very, very, very strongly dislike my Mockingbirds.
We raise a lot of turkey poults, ducklings etc.. and the Mockingbirds LOVE to imitate their distress cries.

Now.. at what point does a person stop assuming that the cries are Mockingbirds? You just can't. You can't.
You have to go searching the yard in case a baby has gotten separated or stuck etc..

I cannot tell you how many hours I have spent going over the place because of the stupid Mockingbirds. :)
And sometimes it the birds and sometimes it's real.

·
Registered
904 Posts
We have one mockingbird that does seem to come and go. She hates one of our two cats. The other cat, the dogs, and humans, she doesn't mind. She will dive-bomb the one cat and follow it, squawking all the way. Other than that, I can't say I know the sound(s) of a mockingbird.
I will be interested to read what other have to say.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,180 Posts
The one on the street where I grew up in Austin learned to imitate the postman's vehicle brake sound. :(

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I love them too along with the mourning doves and scissor tails. I do wish they would not start until a bit later in the day. please. I wish they would drive off the starlings.

T

·
0 Posts
Around here, they have whole songs of Car Alarm... The entire repertoire that an unattended, armed car goes through before giving up and re-arming. :eek:

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
We have one mockingbird that does seem to come and go. She hates one of our two cats. The other cat, the dogs, and humans, she doesn't mind. She will dive-bomb the one cat and follow it, squawking all the way. Other than that, I can't say I know the sound(s) of a mockingbird.
I will be interested to read what other have to say.
If ya play with fire ya get burnt sooner or later.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good afternoon to all- We have a yard full of mockingbirds. The resident birds raise about 250 babies each year, so we have a great plenty of mockingbirds at all times.
Our mockers sing around the clock- night and day- rain and shine. They love to fuss at cats and snakes. They are the nosiest birds that live.
If we don't go out in the yard often enough, the resident mocker comes and looks in the windows of our house to see what we're doing in there-truly. she perches in the rose bush and looks in to see us.
the worst thing that our mockers do is when our blueberries come ripe, they eat their fill and then go perch above the cars to get rid of them. Purple from blueberry bird poop is messy.
I like my mockingbirds- good day to all- Ed Mashburn

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
What does a mocking bird even really sound like?
We have some around our house, they ring like the phone, bark, meow, copy all the annoying birds in the area and make other weird noises that are unnatural from other random sounds they hear.
How the heck do they find a mate when they don't seem to have "their own voice"?
I think if I told them to shut it each time I've heard them the last 3-4yrs, they would be telling me to shut it as well! =0
And they are up all night, too!

T

·
0 Posts
What does a mocking bird even really sound like?
We have some around our house, they ring like the phone, bark, meow, copy all the annoying birds in the area and make other weird noises that are unnatural from other random sounds they hear.
How the heck do they find a mate when they don't seem to have "their own voice"?
I think if I told them to shut it each time I've heard them the last 3-4yrs, they would be telling me to shut it as well! =0
And they are up all night, too!

According to Wiki... They have four natural calls.

"There are four recognized calls for the mockingbird: the nest relief call, hew call, chat or chatburst, and the begging call.[11] The hew call is mainly used by both sexes for potential nest predators, conspecific chasing, and various interactions between mates. The differences between chats and chatbursts are frequency of use, as chats are year-round, and chatbursts occur in the fall.[11] Another difference is that chatbursts appear to be used in territorial defense in the fall, and the chats are used by either sex when disturbed.[11] The nest relief and begging calls are only used by the males.[11]"

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,911 Posts
We have a few mockingbirds, and they seem to perform a medley of several other bird songs. Warble a bit, then cheep, then kind of a whistling call, etc. Then run thru it all over again. I like to hear them, and I love the flash of white when they take off and fly. They look "plain Jane" until they spread their wings. Never heard them mimic other sounds.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have a few mockingbirds, and they seem to perform a medley of several other bird songs. Warble a bit, then cheep, then kind of a whistling call, etc. Then run thru it all over again. I like to hear them, and I love the flash of white when they take off and fly. They look "plain Jane" until they spread their wings. Never heard them mimic other sounds.
They remind me of a pinwheel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts