Mock Strawberry Preserves Help!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by LoveCountry, Sep 17, 2005.

1. LoveCountry

LoveCountry Proud Mom of 3

I am new to this group. My mom got me hooked!! I have been reading for a while now and finally decided to post.

I remember seeing the recipe for the Mock Strawberry Preserves (made out of tomatoes) a while back but now can't find it. If you have it could you please post it for me? Thanks! Also can I can that in the little jelly jars? Do I use the wax stuff on top or can I do it in the water? If so how long do I boil it for? Or can you only freeze it? (I don't have the freezer room :( )

I have never canned before so hopefully you can help me out.

TIA!
    ~Rachel

2. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

posted by amyd on 08-20-05

Mock Strawberry Preserves:

4C of peeled, chopped tomatoes (I roughly seeded them but wasn't too careful about it)
    3 1/2 C sugar
    6 oz strawberry jello

Place tomatoes and sugar in a large kettle. Bring to a boil and simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add jello, stirring until dissolved. Pour into sterilized jars and seal.

**I water bathed these so they were pretty easy to can. Not much trouble at all.

I would use the 1 cup jelly jars......seal with Ball lids and screw tops......hot water bath 10-15 minutes

3. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

4. LoveCountry

Kathy & Mary~ Thank you both for the link and recipe. I am gonna get busy now.

~Rachel

5. amyd

amyd Well-Known Member

Have you tried them yet? My dh didn't like them but my mom LOVES them! I think they're okay something different than the everyday jelly. I actually think they woudl be good mixed with a little BBQ sauce on top of a meatloaf.

6. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Ahhhh.....so it doesn't REALLY taste like strawberry preserves then?

It'd be interesting to try, though!

Bet I'm getting some for Christmas........ hehehehe.

Chris

7. amyd

amyd Well-Known Member

it starts off tasting like strawberry but by the end of the bite it tastes like tomato.

8. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

OK - I was pretty inspired to think tomato jam could taste like "fruit" so I went out this morning and bought new jelly jars, pectin and was going to head out and start picking more tomatoes.

So are you folks saying this "Jam" is better as a sauce for meats? That's OK...I just want to know before I make 2 doz jars of sweet sauce more suited for meat.

Tell me how you've used the jam...I'm reconsidering my efforts now...

9. LoveCountry

I made 7 jars of it last night and they all eventually set up but one jar.....it's runny. What did I do wrong?

I think the stuff is pretty good and I didn't think it tasted like tomatoes at all.

Rachel

10. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

We used to do the same thing with figs instead of tomatoes.

11. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Ummmmm good! Finally got around to trying it. Sure tastes like strawberry to me! No tomato taste whatsoever.

Now, if you could just figure out how to make little chunks of berries in it, like in strawberry jam, it'd be perfect!

12. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh....I just made a bunch of Mock Strawberry Preserves and IT DOES taste like strawberries (using the recipe above)

I wish you could've seen my DH's face when I told him to try it on a piece of toast with butter!!!!! :eek:

I see where you can make it with green tomatoes and with raspberry or blackberry jello - I'm going to try it!!!!

Found the recipe for using green tomatoes here - but I haven't tried it yet. http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1623,159171-249197,00.html

:happy: :happy:

13. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

Has anyone done the green tomato recipe? Just wondering if they peeled them or just ground them? I think we'll plenty green tomatoes!