Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As everyone here probably knows, nothing on a mobile home is standard, including the crappy (but still expensive!) entry doors. My rough opening is 37.5"W x 79.5"H. Not Lowes nor Home Depot sell these sizes so I have two choices: 1) order a custom door from either of them to the tune of $700 or 2) they have narrower entry doors that are still an inch or two too long. I could go with 2) but I have not seen wooden entry doors on their offerings, only fiberglass/metal. Does anyone have experience cutting these babies? Any advice?

Does anyone know of any online places where a custom door can be ordered for a decent price? Everything I found online that is custom is $2K and up...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
mobilehomepartsstore.com is where I ordered a bathtub and various other things when I renovated a mobile home. They have doors too.

I feel your pain! It is frustrating that it is not a standard size. I prefer to shop at a restore for supplies.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I think the standard is 84"h which you should be able to cut about 5" off the top header and "shim" in a standard 36"x 84" pre-hung door.Just remember to double your header.Also remember the size of the studding used in a MH will most likely not be standard.

Wade

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello and thanks for the replies! I am trying to avoid making structural changes and widening openings. I would be open to narrowing the opening and cutting the door but for some reason Lowes or Home Depot do not carry wooden doors and I have no idea what to use to cut fiberglass. As for ordering a new mobile home door, I hate the one I have now, not to mention it is styrofoam and aluminium and they are still charging $400+ for that garbage!

·
Scotties rule!
1,617 Posts
I managed to cut enough off the top of the metal door to get it to fit. Had to cut a section out of the frame too. I cut the door top off so I still had the tight seal at the bottom. Added some weather stripping at the top to tighten it back up. Door opens inward and has a storm door on the outside, so the top isn't exposed to weather.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
Cutting down the height of a door is easy. Use C-clamps to attach a sacrificial scrap of 2 x 4 over the part you want to cut and use a reciprocating saw (jigsaw) with the appropriate blade and a straightedge to guide it. Seal the cut end and Bob's yer uncle.

Typically you cut the bottom and the bottom of the frame so the strike plate will match up. The bottom of doors typically has about 8" of solid wood inside and you don't want to cut more than about 4" max. The top may only have 3 or 4 inches of wood to start with.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Do you have a local vocational high school that you could utilize?

The school where I work would take on the job for the cost of materials and a small labor charge.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cutting down the height of a door is easy. Use C-clamps to attach a sacrificial scrap of 2 x 4 over the part you want to cut and use a reciprocating saw (jigsaw) with the appropriate blade and a straightedge to guide it. Seal the cut end and Bob's yer uncle.

Typically you cut the bottom and the bottom of the frame so the strike plate will match up. The bottom of doors typically has about 8" of solid wood inside and you don't want to cut more than about 4" max. The top may only have 3 or 4 inches of wood to start with.
This is where I am confused I guess. All of the doors for sale in the local Home Depot and Lowes are either fiberglass or metal and not wood. Are you saying they are wood inside in the bottom 8" and top few inches?

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
Yes. The metal ones are just metal panels over wood. A solid metal door would weigh a couple hundred pounds. Fiberglass is somewhat similar. I had to redo a side door on our garage in FL. (One does not try to "adjust" the opening in a concrete block and beam house. :D )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts