mobile home hitch

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by swamp man, Nov 25, 2006.

1. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

I have a newer trailer on my property now,and I wnat to get the old 14x60 hauled off.Because of dense timber,I dont wanna' take it out on the same route that it came in,but there's another good route out if it gets turned around the right way,but I'm not sure what trees to cut,and if it has to get rotated,it's going straight over my raised beds.Hitch,wheels,and axles are in place.Soooooooo...........here's my question......Can thaat hitch be moved to the other end of the trailer,or are they uni-directional?
    Thanks

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Mobile homes have the axle off center toward the end away from the hitch. This is to give tongue load to the apparatus towing the home for traction/stability and to distribute the load partially onto the tow vehicle. As is, you cannot switch the hitch.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    If your taking it across the property and not out on the road this may be do-able. How far out of center are the axels? Taking it on the road with the hitch/axel off balanced is like a head with its chicken cut off!

4. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Weld or fasten in some other fashion a hitch on the rear as you inquired. Once it is out where you can hitch up to the original remove the hitch from the rear and wave bye bye to it.

:D Al

5. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

6. KCM

KCM Well-Known Member

Ditto the Back it out idea. Or you could install a ball on the front of your truck and push it out.

7. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

hook a chain and drag it

8. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Thanks,yall.I'm not sure how far off center the axles are.I started pulling some of the skirting off yesterday,but the old trailer has apperently become the biggest redwasp nest in the universe,so I've gotta' launch a chemical warfare attack before I can really check it out.Thinking back on how the new(and bigger)trailer came in,backing it out just might be doable.I'm tired of looking at the thing,and I want that peice of ground for more friut tree and muscadine vines.
    Again,thanks
    Nick

9. Yeti

Yeti Well-Known Member

I bought one years ago and we got it out with a bigger tractor. it made the turns till we got the road and the front wouldn't steer on the gravel, so I had to sit on the hood for weight. once on the road it was no problem. the worst I have see had to be pulled with a dozer. it was back in the woods so far I wouldn't have thought it possible.

10. jefferson

jefferson fuzzball in the Cascades

classified ad..... Free, U Haul.

11. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

fir future reference you can steer with the indivudual brakes on farm tractors. You dont need the steering wheel