mobile home heating

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by majic99, Oct 2, 2004.

1. majic99

majic99 Well-Known Member

We purchased a double wide mobile home, when it was installed they didn't cut the plastic between the heating ducts in the floors. Other than they should have known better and should come out and fix it, does anyone know what to do?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    It is not unusual for HVAC installers to leave a blockade in new work. This is so the final user can set up the system to suit themselves. Rooms nearest to the heating/cooling unit get a smaller hole, rooms farther away get large holes, this is so you can regulate the amount of air that gets transfered. Usually just remove the vent cover and use a drill mounted hole saw to make the holes, clean out the left overs and return the cover. In that I have not even seen the currant methods for double wides, I would suggest you wait for a group of answers on this one.

3. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Did you pay for set up? If so, make them come out to fix it. We have had lots of problems with our mobile. Wouldn't do it again if we had a choice. The heating/AC ducts are all underneath our furniture. Wish we had had a choice where to put them; it would have been in the attic.

4. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

Most of the doublewides I see require a piece of flexduct cross connecting the two halves. Looks like an oversized dryer vent hose with foil insulation on it.

5. oldhoot

oldhoot In Remembrance

Maj! I assume you're referrin to the connecting duct between the two units? As somebody has already said-if you paid for a set up they need to come back and finish their job. Usually a 12" flex-duct is used to make the connection between'm.

I have found over the years while hookin up the propane to'm that most-if not all- of those worthless flexducts will eventually become a racetrack for mice. Where mice get--snakes can too! Besides all that-you loose expensive heat or coolin under the house [where it's not needed] via the mouseholes.

The best way to fix the thing-that is if you have to--is to use a metal duct, insulated, to run replace the flexduct. 8"x16'' [rectangular] with 12" round metal-to connect the rectangular to the heat ducts in the floor. Costs a little more but you'll be done with the mice problem! oldhoot

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Desdawg and Old Hoot are on the money. Most mobile homes use the flex vent that mice will chew thru and then have the run of your heat ducts. Install a metal duct now and save the problem. A dead mouse or rat in your heat ducts smells lovely in the winter.

7. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Our damn cats (now deceased) chewed through to get warm thus wasting the use of the heater. I replaced with the regular stuff but suspended it from the belly plastics straps and nothing has damaged it thus far (2 years).