mobile home floor replacement

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by agmantoo, Apr 26, 2005.

1. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

In a mobile home that has had water damage in several places to the particle board floor resulting in holes, what is preferred....
    1) remove the particle board entirely and install a complete plywood floor?
    2) leave the particle board and over top of the particle board install a complete plywood floor?
    3) something other?
    All carpet and vinyl has already been removed
    TIA

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

I'm guessing you haven't priced 3/4 plywood lately. If you have repaired the cause of the water damage, there's no reason why you can't just replace the damaged particle board with 3/4 plywood, or as I often do, with two layers of 5/8 plywood, which leaves me a bit of room to skim on a layer of fix-all to fill the seams and smooth things out.

Just make sure to cut right on the middle of the floor joist so that you have something to support your repair and don't be afraid to sister or add more blocking to further support it.

3. dale

dale Well-Known Member

If the rest isnt so bad and you are determined to completely refloor it..
    IF the old floor isnt swollen in places to make high places

The I would lay a layer of 1/2 playwood ontop of the other.. that is if you still have stablity in the old floor except in a couple of places.

1/2 inch is cheaper and if you are leaving the old floor it will support it well like if you had 3/4 inch on it.

IF you are tearing all the way to the floor joists by all means put 3/4 t&g

Just my observation.. I just sold my last mobile home and have quit renting them out. But that is what I would do.
    I have completely removed the other floor and placed new plywood down. But like I said if the old press board is not swollen in places and just has a couple of bad areas and (doesnt stink to the high heaven after the leak) just reinforce it by 1/2 plywood over the whole area.

dale

4. bare

bare Head Muderator

I don't understand why you'd go over the existing 3/4 with half inch plywood. It'll cause all kinds of extra work later on down the line trying to transition floor heights, replacing doors (most mobile doors don't have enough wood to trim them down to fit higher floors).

It's a piece of cake to cut out an existing floor by setting the depth of your saw blade to 3/4 and go for it. You can cut right up to the wall with a sawzall if necessary. I don't even bother spending the extra dollars on T&G.