Mobil 1 5W-30 Oil Any users??

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Farmer Brown, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Well-Known Member

Just switched my F 150 to Mobil 1. Have used Motorcraft but it's gotten more expensive and hard to get. WM does not sell and said Ford won't let them anymore.?? I have heard you can expect better fuel mileage and a longer time between changes. Anyone that can comment on your miles between changes as compared to regular oils? Fuel mileage better? FB

2. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

where are you Alaska ? 5 by 30 is fine for freezing weather but you need something a little higher in TX like a good 20w 50 .

3. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been using Mobil 1 in whatever grade the vehicle manufacturer recommends since the late 1980s, in at least one of my vehicles. Back then I used it in my Ford pickup and changed it once a year, because I put so few miles on the truck, and because the oil made such a difference starting it in the cold in the winter.
    Now I use it in my wife's car, and in my Ford Ranger. My son uses Amzoil in his Honda Civic.
    I think that mileage increased slightly, but it has been so long since changing oils that I couldn't tell you how much.

Jim

4. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't use 5W-30, back a numbe of years GM would not back up their warranty if you used 10W-40. From all the information I've seen when you get too wide of gap in the multigrade oils you start having problems. I know on my 1995 Olds, that you could only use 10W-30 or the warranty was void. I run Mobile 10W-30 in all of my rigs except my Dodge Cummins (Delo 15W-40). On the Ford Truck site someone gathered all of the date on every oil they could possibly find it for and Mobile came out on top, even over a lot of the synthetics. I don't like to know any particular oil, but data speaks for itself. I don't know how many people know this but Mobile make Walmart oil.

Bobg

5. ozarks58

ozarks58 Member

Alaska for 5 W 30????? Ford recommends that weight in my 99 Pickup. Get a manual and have a look. That's the factory fill. Wonder why you can buy it in the south????

6. Runners

Runners A real Quack!

Go ahead, I've used Mobil 1 since the '70s on old engines and new. 20w50 worked real good in a 261 straight six, 10w40 works great in our Dodge 360 engine, 10w30 ran excellent in our '96 Dakota (3.9L). We got at least +2mpg using it in the pickup.

15-20K between oil changes, but we changed the filter at least every 5k.

Recently the wife got a "free oil change, lube & tire rotation" - Pennzoil...
    When she said the "check engine light" came on, I joked it was because of the oil. :haha:
    (actually because of the CHEAP GAS!)