MO Boating

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tsdave, Jul 7, 2006.

1. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

I have read about the regulations for lights on boats afterdark, Am i right in believing that a 14' boat with a trolling motor only requires a white light (lantern in my case) visible 360 degrees ?

I saw most boats require red/blue lights, but i thought it said boats with speeds less than 7 knots dont need them if they are relativly short (less than 30' ?)

anyone know for sure ?

this is in MO, by the way.

2. dseng

dseng Member

Here's a link to the online Missouri Boating Handbook - Missouri Boating Handbook

Motor boats under power at night require the normal Red (port) and Green (starboard) sidelights and a white 360 degree light mounted a meter higher than the sidelights.

Non-powered boats (sailed, rowed, paddled or poled) under 23 feet have much lower requirements, but as soon as you put a motor on it the game changes and they treat you like the big boys!

In my experience this is a very common requirement (that's how it was in Alaska too).

3. Old Spicer

Old Spicer Active Member

4. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Same setup up here in WI. I think the back light has to be so high up or something.

Don't forget to register. I just got taken from behind by the local warden. My forgetfullness cost me $186...but i plan on going to court on it.

5. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

The white light is suppose to be mounted at the rear to help show the length in the dark. The lights are to remain lit unless the boat is docked.

You can rig up a cheapie stern light with a flashlight and a white hairspray cap secured with waterproof tape.