MN: Low cost coop improvement loans

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by suburbanite, Aug 4, 2006.

1. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    I am highly irked because I appear to have been banned from the poultry forum--it no longer appears on my list of forums under 'livestock'.

Why?

Because I dared post a link to a news article about H5N1 bird flu testing in the US.

Cyangbald has made it very clear that he views H5N1 as a bunch of hype. That is no reason for him to remove posts that allow people to become informed and make their own opinion.

If you are a poultry forum reader, be aware that you are being manipulated by the forum moderator and kept from having full information about this issue.

Here is the information that I wanted to post today in that forum which I could not because of this action. The state of Minnesota is apparently taking the issue very seriously--so seriously they are handing out money to backyard poultry farmers in the form of low interest loans, so that small-scale farmers can upgrade their coops to be more infection resistant.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/business/15194318.htm

On the Net:

•-More information on the loan program is available at www.mda.state.mn.us/esap/poultryloan.htm or (651) 201-6012.

•-Birds may be registered at www.bah.state.mn.us or (651) 296-2942.

2. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

thanks for the information. Information is power

Im sorry posting this info cost you dearly

peace be with you

3. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

did the name of this thread just change?

4. suburbanite

The article that I apparently got in trouble for was about a home in texas where they found 10's of smuggled exotic chickens inside a filthy house, all dead, and have to test them now for H5N1 because they don't know what countries they came from and don't know what killed them.

I said that this kind of idiocy was why backyard poultry farmers in the US have to worry about bird flu even though the problem is half a world away.

Maybe he didn't like the word 'idiocy'. :(

5. suburbanite

Yeah, bob, I changed the name because I thought that the loan information is more important than my irritation with the forum owner.

6. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

thank you for seeing it that way

7. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

hey, you may be on to something there :p

8. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

It must be those long winters :p

9. suburbanite

Well, Wind in her Hair, at least this way if you're a poultry farmer you can get some of that money back--and pay them a small interest fee for the priviledge! :rolleyes:

Bird flu or no bird flu, low interest loans to help backyard farmers improve life for their poultry can't be all bad, can it?

10. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

11. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Are you from Minnesota or California?

12. suburbanite

I'm from California. I just happened to see this about Minnesota and thought people who live there would be interested in it.

Yes, it could be abused for 'premise ID's' for NAIS. I don't think that is it's purpose but if NAIS is implemented they could attempt to gain access to the loan records. I don't know if the courts would allow it--depends on the make-up of the courts in Minnesota and whether the judges feel beholden to the feds or to the interests of the state's farmers.

13. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Suburbanite:

What form does YOUR flock take? How many birds, what breeds?

14. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

We prefer not to take out loans ... especially from the government.

My birds don't need fancy coops - just a place to get out of the wind & rain.

15. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

They don't appear to be "giving" anything away in this program. The OP used the words "handing out money" and then followed up with "in the form of low interest loans"... Sorry OP, loans aren't "handing out money", it's handing out debt.

H5N1 safety suggestions:

Don't let others in your pens.
    Don't accept birds from foreign sources.
    Don't enter another person's pens then enter yours without showering and changing clothes first.
    Use a quaternary ammonium solution to spray pens and coups every so often. Quaternary ammonium solutions are proven to kill H5N1 along with all other virus', fungi and bacteria. If you don't have any, you can get some for a decent price here: Ensure Quaternary Ammonium Sanitiser .

I know the poultry forum moderator and "he" is a she. I doubt she would have locked you out for just trying to post a link. If I'm wrong, I apologise. We don't talk about stuff like that.

16. suburbanite

Tracy--I don't have chickens yet. I thought I should learn something about them first. There is a poultry store about two miles from here that sells several varieties including exotics like--what are those japanese roosters with the 10 foot long tails?--and common breeds like Wyandotes, RI's, and red and white leghorns. We're allowed up to three chickens and no roosters in my suburb, so long as they don't leave the yard.

I happen to know a lot about bird flu for reasons unrelated to chickens and it pains me to see people ignoring the risks and labeling the issue as a 'fear mongering' with no basis. Yes, there are political opportunists and businessfolk out there trying to get whatever mileage they can out of the situation, but the situation itself actually *is* a problem--one which can be managed and minimized if people simply recognize that just because it is hyped doesn't mean there isn't also truth to the problem.

17. suburbanite

Dahc, it can be 'handing out money' depending on the rate they charge.

Right now you can get 5% interest rate on a 3 month CD of $10,000. If you get money at 2.5% such that you don't have to dip into that $10K and drop to a lower return rate, you're making a net 2.5% on the money you borrowed. I don't know if I said that clearly but I hope you get what I mean.

I owe $12K on my car at 2.9% fixed. I have $12K in the bank at 5%, which means that by not paying off my car in full, and keeping the loan, I'm actually *making* a small amount of money each month.

It just depends on what the interest rate is and what alternatives you have for the money. Also if you get a loan that allows you to improve your coops and improve your chicken's productivity, you get a net gain.

You'd have to look at your own situation to figure out if one of these loans would be a net gain or not. I just figured people would want to know they exist. If Minnesota has them, other states may have them too but not have publicized them as well.

Dahc--that is all great advice.

I think the USDA site also has some stuff about keeping wild birds and ducks out of your feed, and about optimum coop construction, which I took to be 2 layers of chicken wire with a three foot 'no birds zone' between them to keep wild birds and chickens from sneezing on each other, and a solid roof to keep wild bird poop from dropping in from above.

Dunno how practical that is in practice though. It is probably workable for a potential suburban 'flock' of 3, but for small farmers with 40 birds and a small local egg business, the recs might be hard to implement.

18. suburbanite

Oh, Tracy, and the only birds I'm 'keeping' right now (after having parakeets for over a decade) is an ever growing pack of hummingbirds. They're darn hard to count but I have at least a dozen Annas and two Allens all trying to lay claim to my little suburban vegetable patch.

19. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

the money in the bank vs the car loan...
    money in the bank is figured on a 360 day year... loans are a 365 day year....

most often savings is simple interest and most often loans are compounded interest... you might not be as well off as you think.

20. suburbanite

Caroline it is a 2.9% APR, compared with a 5% APR, so it is on the same compounding basis.

It isn't a huge amount of money gained--about $120 a year. But thats a power bill for a month, you know?