MN dog owners please sign this petition *Mar 20/2016*

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by fishhead, Jan 8, 2012.

1. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

After Penni was killed in a body grip trap baited with beaver meat last month I decided to put a stop to the killing. I should have kept fighting for the change 20 years ago when I saw my first bucket set. If I had Penni would be sleeping next to me now dreaming of chasing grouse.

Nine days after Penni was killed a hunter lost his setter named Sue to another body grip trap. He reached her within seconds but she was already dying.

Here's the story in our local paper about Penni and Sue.

http://brainerddispatch.com/outdoors/2011-12-30/traps-can-pose-threat-hunting-dogs

Trappers (I was one) don't have to set these dog killers on the ground where they are killing dogs. They can be set off the ground on poles like is done in other states or we can use footholds.

I've started a petition to get the law changed. Trappers should not be able to legally kill our dogs in body grips set on the ground. I know of 5 that have been killed and that's without even looking reports.

Here's the petition. Please sign it and send it to everyone who loves dogs in MN. We need to stop the killing.

http://signon.org/sign/safe-public-lands?source=c.em.mt&r_by=1905165

2. Minelson

Minelson Well-Known Member

I'm not in MN but my sister is...I'll forward it to her to sign!

3. fishhead

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Fishhead, I would prefer to see the petition apply only too the larger traps. The way your petition reads it could be construed to include water sets for rats and mink.

5. fishhead

That's only the petition.

The bill won't address using body grips in water sets. They are legal now and that's the way it should stay.

The intent is only to get the dog killers off the ground onto pole sets or into the water.

6. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm nowhere near MN, but I am sorry about your dog. What an awful way to find your buddy.

7. fishhead

Yes it was. I knew she'd been killed before I even started looking for her and it took me 1/2 hour to find her so I had lots of time to dread it.

8. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Would you like this made a stickie thread for a while?

9. SageLady

SageLady Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not in MN either, but just wanted to say how sorry I am for what happened to your dog. How terrible...you have my deepest sympathies.

10. farmerj

farmerj Well-Known Member

if your dog is where a trapper is setting traps, I would say you don't have control of your animal.

and I know that most of even rural areas in Mn have some sort of leash laws.

Just one of the typical COUNTY pet ordinances in the state.
    I am trying to learn how to snare/trap as well as our families own dogs. It ----es me off to no end that people blame others for failing to control their own animal.

Sorry for the loss of your pet. But look in the mirror for your blame. Not to the trapper.

Joshie and cfuhrer like this.
  11. fishhead

Yes. Please do.

12. fishhead

I think you will fit right in with some of our trappers with that attitude. That is why trapping will probably be illegal in the future.

FYI on MN county and state land dogs do NOT need to be leashed because we hunt in this state. It's also legal to let your dog run while you enjoy a walk on the public land.

13. farmerj

farmerj Well-Known Member

I did read the news story AND the 61 comments to it.

By your own admission it took you over 1/2 hour to find your dog. THAT is not having control of it.

I have had to put down enough animals as a result of hunting/trapping accidents. To include my cousins pet of 12 years who had his muzzle blown off in his hands by his brother.

I don't blame the hunter or the traps.

Joshie likes this.
  14. SunsetSonata

SunsetSonata Broken Dreamer Supporter

There's no excuse for conibears to pose an unneccesary risk to bird dogs which are also legal on public property. Some of these trappers are using target birds as bait, too. No way is it the fault of bird dog hunters. Bird dog hunters are not planting unmarked death traps that do not discriminate in areas where bird dogs work.

15. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Suppose a small child stepped in it? "Sorry for the loss of your kid, but look in the mirror for your blame". Do you ever have ANYTHING nice to say? yeesh! :grump:

16. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

They're legal in Kansas too and there has been instances of dogs being killed in conibear traps. They're mostly used for predator type animals like coyotes and bobcats. I don't know if you'll succeed in getting a law passed about them, but I can understand. I'd never forgive myself if one of my dogs was caught in one. Until then, probably best if people don't take their dogs hunting on public land, but stay on private land where no one is allowed to trap during trapping season. There was a story here not too long ago in Salina, Ks of someone's Beagle that got into one of those traps and the guy knew how to get the trap off, but couldn't get it off fast enough before it killed her. Sad, sad story as he watched her die and just couldn't get her out in time. Seems leg traps would be better.

17. 6e

I would hope most children aren't running at large on public hunting grounds especially during hunting season and on a person, it would catch your leg, not your head.

18. fishhead

It's not an accident when a trapper places a killer trap on public land and baits it with meat. It's reckless behavior and nothing less. Feel free to support it if you want but you aren't doing trapping any favors.

The trapper who killed Penni said he prefers to use grouse parts when he can get them. He uses them as bait in killer traps set on the ground on public land during grouse season when hunters and their grouse dogs are after grouse.

The man who lost Sue to a killer trap baited with beaver on a WMA reached her within seconds and watched her die.

Penni died about 50' from my car while I was about 100 yards away.

We will change the law to allow trappers to continue to trap without killing our dogs and people to hunt and walk their dogs on public land. Trappers like fj are making our job easier because rational people are outraged that it is legal for trappers to act in such a reckless manner.

19. 6e

I hope you can get a law to at least get them up off the ground. I am sorry about your dog and I do understand had it happened to my dog. :( I would think it would matter to the trappers as you don't want to be catching non-target animals, so trapping domestic animals is not in the trappers favor either.

20. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

It was a rhetorical question.

Even the DNR says it is not the dog owners fault. Both have a right to be on the land doing what they are doing. They both have to make sure they are using the land in a safe manner. It seems the trappers COULD make it safer for the others to be there.