Mmmmm, that was tasty sausage

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by homebirtha, Dec 7, 2006.

1. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I picked up the fresh pork today. We had sausage and tried some Ponhaus tonite. Good stuff!

They weighed in at 197, 213, and 227 hanging weights. My coolers were overflowing. :)

We also got puddings. Has anyone ever done puddings before? How do you fix it and how do you serve it?

2. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Those are two terms that I am not familiar with. What is Ponhaus?

Never heard of puddings...

3. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

according to what i jsut read it is a form of scrapple,,,, not sure what the puddings refers to, but i would assume it is the same type of thing.....

4. chrisntiff

chrisntiff Well-Known Member

Yeah, pudding is just like scrapple but it is a bit sweeter and looser. It is all the same stuff just different recipes, different parts of the country. Its all just a way to make every piece of meat edible. I guess here in Maryland we like to call it pudding instead of 'SCRAP'ple. We've never made it we just make lots of sausage. There are lots of recipes online...

Chris

5. newbrunswick

newbrunswick Member

My mother always made "blood pudding" when we were growing up. Its a sausage - we just fried it up, cut into pieces and ate it up.

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I got some more info. Yes, ponhaus is the same thing as scrapple, just a different regional dialect difference. It's Pa. Dutch, I believe.

I think the pudding is kind of the next step after the ponhaus/scrapple. It's what's left after the scrapple. lol. I called the lady where we had the pigs done again, because I wasn't finding much info. She said she heats it, drains off the lard, adds some milk until it's the consistency of pudding, and then you use it almost as a gravy, over pancakes, biscuits, bread, or ponhaus. I haven't tried it yet.

Oh, and another interesting tidbit I realized, the ponhaus has an ingredients lits on it and it contains "puddings". This sure has been a learning experience. :)

7. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Thank you, I'd never heard of that before.

I'd try it!