MMMMM, tasty... or not.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Sep 30, 2006.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

http://scienceline.org/2006/09/20/env-wenner-arsenic/

Arsenic??? Approved in chickens? Does anyone know if there are other commercial feeds that use this? Roxarsone

Hmmm, check out this government paper on it too: http://water.usgs.gov/owq/AFO/proceedings/afo/pdf/Wershaw.pdf#search="Roxarsone"

2. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Unbeliveable!!

3. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

Hey, come on, people have been smoking ciggies for years with arsenic in them, you don't hear them complaining, do ya? :p Ok, seriously, that is just plain scary, but is it just me, or does that story sound a little like what the animal activists fire out to scare people? Not saying it's not true, but I don't automatically believe every "food scare" story out there anymore.

Perhaps it best to contact the company itself and find out firsthand.

(going out to check my chicken grower label now, not because of your story you understand, just because! LOL)

DD

4. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

A link with some more info on arsenic in chicken. The litter/manure is the dangerous part.

http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/arsenic_poultry_litter.html

Seem to remember there was a lawsuit against a big chicken producer by State of Arkansas because of the chicken litter had raised arsenic levels on some fields so high they could no longer be used for food production.

Don't know if it works on chickens, but a bit of ansenic was an old horse trader's trick. It would have a "plumping" and tonic effect, making a aged, skeletal horse look fat and frisky in a day.

5. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

I just had a guy the other day tell me they were feeding this to chickens. He owns the produce stand I go to, somehow we got to talking about meat. He has totally stopped eating meat and was telling me why, I told him all mine comes from the backyard so I wasn't worried. I will have to check around here at some of the chicken houses (Lord knows we have enough of them! LOL) and see if I can find anything out.

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

7. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Been in feeds since I was taking ag courses in the 70s was probally in them before then. Its used as a small dose anti infection , small doses wont bother you -- as a matter af fact! But i dont want to eat it! LOL

8. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I started a topic about this a while back, and people made fun of me for posting it. :grump:

9. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

small doses of arsenic are medicinal. i'm pretty sure that is what my vet used to cure heartworm in my dog. i remember her telling me about it, because there was a risk of death with it. i also think it was used in makeup hundreds of years ago, for the plumping and whitening effect is has. seems a few courtesans died for their beauty.

the problem occurs when it accumulates, such as the field example used above. a little bit won't hurt you.

10. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

I heard that the use of arsenic is linked (when it started being added so much then the big guys came up with the suggestion of removing the skin of poultry to ---reduce the fat levels when eating. Seems like Arsenic is something that gets saturated in the fat. I guess warning us about Fat has a warming more caring feel about it than saying removing the skin and visable fat reduces you personal intake of arsenic.

11. seedspreader

The real issue isn't the human consumption of the trace bits of arsenic, but the accumulation that gets into our soil and drinking water. It is transferred there by the chicken feces and THEN consumption is a real issue.

http://www.epa.gov/safewater/arsenic/index.html The "O"fficial site by the government for the scoop on arsenic.

12. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

hmmmm...my township has been lying to it's citizens. an old orchard is being developed and arsenic and lead have been found. instead of removing the soil, they have decided to bury it 2 feet deep saying that it is only dangerous if the dust gets airbourne and that it will not leach into the water...the liars. the lead my not leach into water but apparently the arsenic will.

to get back to the thread, i guess i eat entirely too many of those broilers. i really do not like the idea of eating arsenic.

13. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if arsenic is in the regular old chicken food (lay crumble) you buy at the feed store?

My son has arsenic poisoning!!! :flame: :Bawling: :flame: :Bawling:
    His levels are higher than most people, yet not high enough to be considered severe. HOWEVER, for him it is more than enough to make him very sick because he has lots of other medical issues as well. That is why the rest of the family is only slightly sick, while he is just downright PUKEY from it.

We have sent off a sample of water to be tested but wont know anything for at LEAST another week. In the meantime we are all drinking bottled water. ALL of our animals still have to drink the well water. We have WAY too many animals to be able to haul water for them.

As a safety precaution we are not eating anything that is "homegrown."
    No dairy products, no chicken or goat meat, no eggs. Our grocery bill has doubled. :Bawling:

If the arsenic levels in our water are "safe" then we need to continue to investigate to find out where it is coming from. That's why I am asking about chicken feed.

14. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

No it's not.

15. connie in nm

connie in nm Well-Known Member

Saw a health show on TV recently and they said blood tests on people in this area show high levels of arsenic and heavy metals. Chicken is a prime suspect for the high levels of arsenic.

I had not heard of this until recently. Buy organic or grow your own.

16. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Went looking for ways to remove arsenic from groundwater and found this:

"If arsenic water (0.45 mg/L) is kept in a big tank (about 3000-liter capacity) for about 9 days, arsenic concentration level is reduced in the top layers to acceptable level (0.05 mg/L). When arsenic-bearing water comes in contact with free air, a thin layer is formed which is nothing but an arsenic compound and its concentration was about 0.7 mg/L. In this way arsenic level can be reduced to acceptable level by repeated removal of the floating layer. Any of the methods mentioned above can be used to produce arsenic-free water and it can be recommended for use in rural areas of Bangladesh."

http://www.sdnbd.org/sdi/issues/arsenic/BUET-UNU-arsenic-workshop-2.htm

Seems to be a fairly simple and easy method to remove arsenic from water for livestock use. You would want an outlet pipe a few inches lower than the top to remove water for the critters to drink.

17. seedspreader

What were the symptoms of your son that made them check for arsenic?

18. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

You of all people Jesse shouldnt be suprised. Im not.

No one cares.

Pilgrim’s Pride only cares about profits. The government only cares about collecting taxes. The consumer only cares about quick cheap meals so they can go spent their disposable income on leisure activities.

As long as something doesnt kill someone today, no one cares about tomorrow.

19. millipede

millipede quack...

I was recently looking a little of this stuff up myself. From the way things are worded, I would guess that it is only found in medicated feed, or at least, mostly in medicated feed. I buy scratch and grains and mix my own, and I feel a bit safer, but I still wonder what is in it all. From what I can tell so far I have nothing to worry about... but if I don't worry about myself, who will. [​IMG]
    What kind of bothers me is the use of the phrase "acceptable levels" and similar phrases when talking about harmful stuff. Personally, I don't trust someone else's judgement of what is "acceptable". If it's harmful, it's harmful... and I'll do my best to stay away from it all together.
    I agree with you michiganfarmer... that's our society in a nutshell...

20. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

About the only chicken in stores in my area is Golden Plump. And boy I eat my share, and then some over a 3 day celebration our town puts on Threr Broiler Fest Days yum yum. Charchaol chicken at its best... Been going on now for just under 50 years~! I eat so much over those 3 days I rarely have chicken any other time of the year.... :rolleyes: