Mmmmm... BERRIES!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Pony, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I must say, I am quite pleased with the berry production this year! Between FINALLY figuring out how to prune them and the generous rains, I've been able to pick a quart or so a day. Not too shabby!

And something I like about picking berries here better than picking at the Farm: the only "Sssss" noise I hear is from me, when I get hooked on one of those wicked thorns!

It almost makes up for the lack of flowering on my linden. Almost.

Pony!

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Pony, Our mulberries don't have thorns. LOL

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Gee, Uncle Will, neither do ours.

Our raspberries, OTOH, have earned their names! They RASP your skin every time you get too close to one of those barbed thorns! And I was picking raspberries.

Mulberries, I tear out. And dig out. And chop down. And do it all over again. Too darned invasive and tenacious. Almost as bad as buckthorn. :(

Pony!

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

The most obnoxious plant of our farm is mulberries. We have a double row of white pines around all the buildings. Birds plant mulberries in them. If I don't get them out the first year, they grow straight up like a fishpole the second year. Their taproot is as big and long as the tree. You can not pull the root out. If you cut the tree off the root sends up several sprouts to replace it.
    The birds also plant polkeweed in the trees.
    Maybe I should have polksalad and mulberry pie. Or blackbird pie???