mixing scrubs in hedge

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MELOC, Apr 5, 2006.

1. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i will be planting a hedgerow to enhance the property line with my most friendly neighbors. they are good people and i wish to make the hedge pleasing to the eye. i also wish to make it somewhat productive if i can.

i thought of planting rose of sharon and lilac and "harvesting" the suckers and transplanting them into pots for future sales. i was going to plant all of one or the other but now consider mixing it up to get blooms in more than one season.

i request input from you all about this. i thought of planting maybe 6-10 feet of each over a 100-150 foot area. should i plant it in blocks like that or alternate each plant one at a time.

i also have some evergreens, arbs i think, that were donated last year by a friend. i thought of putting one between each floral block. what do you think?

2. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

I'm trying to start a hedge (little over 100 feet) this year also. I planted hazelnuts and will be planting Serviceberries and Seaberries) on 4 feet centers (1` hazelnut, then a Serviceberry then a Seaberry). Should be quite nice in the spring with the flowers, and nuts and berries each fall.

We'd rather have something that produces (and flowers) as to just flowers.

Pat

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I think it would be more pleasing to the eye if you mixed the plantings. Use a group of five or seven varieties. You could have a group of 3 rose of sharon, then a lilac (flanked by annual flowers, or periennial flowers until it fills in in twenty years), then a soft bush, then start over. The trees I'd plant toward the back of the property. If you like roses a couple of those would look nice, too.

4. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i like the idea of grouping several together too. this hedge will border a @1.5 acre field of nice black loam that will host many edibles. black and black raspberries, strawberries, horseradish, rhubarb, asparagus and anything else i can find, lol. i think i still might put something green in the mix every so often so i have some winter color.

5. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I would definitely vary the bushes and plant some things that are not only evergreen but produce berries in the winter for birds like holly. Don't make the mistake of planting the bushes too closely.

I've been doing the same with crepe myrtle, rose of sharon, holly, some prickly bush I can't think of and curly willow. The curly willow is good for rooting hormone and for selling to flower shops. That might be a good choice for you too.