Mixing cement using 60/40 mix

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shootingstar, May 28, 2004.

1. shootingstar

shootingstar Active Member

My local gravel pit sells a 60/40 mix for mixing concrete. The problem is, I don't know how much portland cement to mix in. All I remember is years ago, my dad would do a shovel of this and couple of shovels of that and a few more of the other thing :) I have a regular trailer type electric motor driven mixer I bought that I will use to do the mixing, I just need the ratio. The cement will be used for a sidewalk. Thanks for any input.

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

1 Shovel of Portland for every 5 Shovels of Gravel Sand Mix.

big rockpile

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Five shovels of gravel/sand mix, and one shovel of cement is a rich mix. When I was a kid my stepdad would always go with a 6 to one mix, but his shovels full of gravel were about twice as full as his shovels of cement. In reality he was mixing about one to ten.. Some of the concrete we poured back in the 1940s is still holding up.
    Avoid getting the concrete very sloppy in the mixer. Concrete that is poured fairly dry will be stronger than the sloppy stuff.
    Pour the water in the mixer first out of a bucket so you can tell exactly how much you put in there. After a few batches you'll know how much.
    After it is all mixed in the mixer you may need to add a little gravel or a little water to get the consistency you want.
    Have fun, and don't get the shovel handle over heated.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Find yourself a FLAT shovel with a LONG Handle that is both long and strong. Otherwise, you'll have to bendover everytime you fillup that shovel and your Back will render you pretty much useless at the beginning of Day #2. I help a friend mix cement for his fence building business when he can't find a mexican to help him and I'm the "Whiteboy" V.P. in charge of loading Gravel and Shoveling operation(s). ..........fordy... :eek: :)

5. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Is the 60/40 mix including portland? or is it a ratio of fine aggregate(sand) to gravel? or gravel to sand?

A mix of aggregates will strengthen the concrete. The addition of fly ash, if you can get it, will strengthen even more, and lengthen the set (you'll have more time to use the concrete before it sets). You can substitute fly ash for up to 35% of the portland.

good luck

6. Cedar

Cedar Well-Known Member

I learned that it was 3 parts gravel, 2 parts sand, one part cement then water to consistency.

7. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

all we ever done was 3 sand 1 portland and pour the gravels to it, add enough water for about a 5" slump

8. shootingstar

Thanks for the replies. I bought two long handle flat shovels, one for me and one for my husband. The 60/40 mix is rock and sand. I bought 10 94lb bags of portland cement last night. I am heading over now to get a load of 60/40, I will be getting two yards of that. The "sidewalk" is only 4ft by 30ft. I am hoping I am getting enough, I figured 1.5 cu yards should be close. I went all the way thru calculus in college but my math still stinks :) Thanks again everyone.

9. Doug

Doug Member

2 Yds of 60/40 should be plenty. The amount of 60/40 you get is the amount of concrete you will end up with. All the cement does is fill the air space between the sand it does not add any volume.

10. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

you're close, it'll take 1.56 yards.
    http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/howmuch/calculator.htm

11. shootingstar

The sidewalk went well, it looks great! I have a 1/2 load (1/2 yard) 60/40 left and 4 bags of cement. I used 1 shovel of cement to 5 shovels of 60/40. It must be working, it's was hard this morning. Thanks again for the advice. However, I think my husband is ready to sell the mixer now :rolleyes: .....city slicker

12. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

shootingstar glad it went well.

big rockpile

13. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............Did I mention anything about Bayer aspirin and a bottle of Tequila and some fresh limes? The day "After" for the uninitated is ALways a day of Pain and Rememberance for things accomplished and giving thanks for gas powered engines and Beds with firm mattresses and :p for NOT having too do this for a Living...........fordy... :eek: :)