Mix your own feed?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Ebowhunter, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Ebowhunter

Ebowhunter Well-Known Member

Does anyone mix their own organic feed? Care to share the recipe?

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

We use a universal feed and we have it mixed by the ton. The ratio I use is 860lb cracked corn, 840lb whole oats and 300lb soybean meal.
    We have the feed mixed by the ton. The cost varies, but it's never been over $9.00 per 100lb.
    We feed this to all of our animals, horses, sheep, pigs, chickens, ducks, geese, guineas. Each animal gets a certain amount plus any extras, such as hay or alfalfa for the horses, the chickens free range, the pigs get scraps. etc.

You might want to check with your local county agriculture agent. He will be able to tell you what crops are available in your area, that will keep the cost down. Also, He should be able to tell you where to get organic crops.
    I know others here use universal feeds, some replace oats with milo, etc..
    This is just the mixture that has worked out for me. Also, I've had molasses added a time or two. It keeps the feed together nice.....and the horses love it.

Good luck! :)

3. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

1600 gr corn

430 SB meal

20 15% mineral

4lb salt

4 vitamins a,d&e

Works very well for us and cost 0.09 cents per lb, and we order 2000lbs but only pickup 1000lbs at a time. Our gain to feed ration stands about 3 lbs to 1. makes for a leaner hog. We store it in 55 gal plastic drums and feed it free choice. We feed this from wean to butcher.

4. Ebowhunter

Ebowhunter Well-Known Member

Great! The Mich Ag site lists all of the registered organic facilities in the State.

Any idea what the protein percentage is? I would like to feed it to some broilers next spring.

5. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

Cowgirlone or Siryet: Do either of you know what protein percentages are for your mix? Thanks!

6. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Stephen, I'll see if I can look it up. I've been using the same recipe for about 14 or 15 years now, I'm not sure where I wrote it down! :)

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Research a Pearson Square and that will assist in the determination of the protein content. Commercial producers now consider lysine in their rations rather than protein.

8. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

I used Pearson Square using soybean meal & cracked corn, I wouldn't save much money over 16% mill ground mix I'm using, I'd save virtually nothing after adding vitamins/minerals. Pearsons square to achieve a 28% protein (Broilers) using SBM & Cracked corn failed to save me much either. Still looking........sure like the idea of a "Universal" feed. Thanks for responses.

9. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Well, it's not organic... but it's not medicated either.

We mix cracked corn and soybean meal. 4 parts corn to 1 part soybean meal. We buy deer corn, which runs an average of $5 per 50 pound bag, and then crack it ourselves. Since we aren't big producers, we haven't asked anyone to specially make feed for us. The pigs also get all kitchen scraps, and as I mentioned on another thread, a dozen eggs two to three times per week. When I was milking, they also got a quart of milk per day shared between three of them. (They really enjoyed Christmas - leftover cheese dip, eggnog, and pumpkin bread, plus leftover turkey!)

They also free range on about an acre and a half that is lightly wooded. They are doing a splendid job of turning it over and manuring it. The acorns that were there in October are now gone, and they seem to enjoy themselves immensely out there.

They are growing quite well - should be ready about the end of February or so.