mix breed milking short horn what do you think

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by andy gingery, Jun 5, 2005.

1. andy gingery

andy gingery Member

we have a hiefer calf that is mix breed .her mother is half holstine and red angus .mother was bred to a full blood milking short horn bull.the calf mother is as large as a holstine and the dairy uses her as a milk cow. can anyone give me an idea of which might be more dominate, or if she might make a dairy cow for a family of 3. :confused:

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I have 2 cows that are 1/2 short horn and 1/2 angus. They are really good brood cows with great milking capability. These 2 cows are thrifty and maintain good body condition on grass only feed. Their calves bring premium prices when marketed as feeder calves. I wish that I have an entire herd of such animals. I feel that the shorthorn will be the dominate trait in your heifer calf.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Agman has said pretty much what I think. I milk mixed breed cattle and they can be very good producers although none of mine have Short Horn in them. Your heifer has more dairy than beef in her and should produce more than enough milk for your family with enough left over to feed a pig and give the chooks a treat.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. andy gingery

andy gingery Member

Thanks very much. This is our first milk cow, my husband has been around jersey's about 20 yrs ago, but never this breed. we appreciate others opinions and any help they can offer. This a new learning experience for me. again Thanks for the opinion :)

5. caseyweiss

caseyweiss Well-Known Member

In my experience, any cow with Milking Shorthorn in it makes a great homesteading animal. They are very docile and calm and can put it in the pail or wean a heavy calf if you let them. Milking Shorthorns have made me more money any other breed I have used.