Mites or syphilis?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Hartfarm, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Hartfarm

Hartfarm New Member

It's been a rough couple of months for sandy, my registered mini lop doe. First, she cut her eye on something in her cage and disqualified herself from being able to be shown. Once she healed, I decided to still put her to use and breed her. When she was bred, she was healthy and fine. Then a few days after breeding, she got a serious upper respiratory infection and JUST got over it. And now, yet another misfortune has come upon her and I'm trying to figure it out.
    So, here's her symptoms. She has two nasty, crusty places above each side of her nose that she keeps scratching. She also continues to scratch her vent area, her dewlap, and her hind legs. I checked her body for dandruff, thinking it was fur mites, but there really isn't much. So, I started researching and found out that rabbit syphilis can cause the crusty spots near her nose. I know it also affects the vent, but I'm not able to check sandy's vent. She's heavily pregnant and cranky, and squeals every time I get close to her. I tried flipping her over to check and she tried to bite. I don't want to hurt her or stress her even more by trying to check (trying to avoid stressing her to keep her babies safe and prevent another illness from setting in!).
    Also, she's been losing a great deal of fur these past couple of days. I don't know whether it's because she's going through another false pregnancy or because she's infested with mites.
    What do y'all think she has, and what should I do for treatment?

2. a7736100

a7736100 Well-Known Member

Was upper respiratory infection treated or did it just go away?

This is a stab in the dark. I've treated ear mites with vegetable oil so you might try spraying her with something like PAM in case it's mites. Don't know if it'll will make a mess and get her fur all sticky but it may kill mites. It may also reduce itch. I would keep her away from your other rabbits but let her have her litter.