Mites, lice?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by longshadowfarms, Mar 14, 2005.

1. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I have some 6 week old bottle calves with little flea-like critters on them. THey really look a lot like fleas but not as active and don't jump. They seem to have 8 legs as far as my old eyes can figure before they cross. (Update: Got a look at them under the microscope and they sure look like lice. There are 3 legs on each side and pincers or something at the front.) Dark brown in color. I dosed with Eprinex but am concerned about bedding and when might be optimum to remove that. What might be safe to spray in the stall for calves that age? I hate to move them since I don't have a good space to put them where they won't infect other animals. They are pretty isolated where they are. It is kind of our "isolation" area. I really hate to spray as well but these are kind of young calves and I really want to make sure we kill all the beggars. WOuld just re-applying Eprinex maybe do it? When is optimum? I also have a call in to the vet but they may want to come out and I'm not keen to do that. I will if I have to but would rather not. Too darned cold to just put them outside but I might be able to do that for a couple of hours if we get a warm-ish day.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

You are find and have the problem under control. Forget about the vet visit and his bill!

3. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

eprinex..will work on cows for 28 days soit will take care of the one in stalls so your fine