Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all do to control mites in your chickens? I’m about ready to burn down my chicken house and get rid of all my chickens. I can’t get ahead of this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will start with a new chicken house because the one I have is so run down it’s not worth saving. I will also try the DE. My sister swears by that but I’ve never tried it. Thank you

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
That link goes a bit over the top with how to deal with mites. If they showed up on mine, they got treated with different things. Mostly I used Ivermectin because of the feather legged birds were more prone to scaly leg mites. My coop was then sprayed to dripping with permethrin premise spray after removing bedding. I didn't start to see them again until Fall when the mites were looking for warm bodies.

I would also use liquid Sevin on the exterior of the coops when the birds were up.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Yep, sand is a really good miticide. When my chickens were on sand I had no issues with mites, it was only once I moved them to a different building that I had to keep watch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What kind of sand do you all use? The soil out here is very sandy but it’s real tiny grit. Almost like dust. It’s everywhere.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,895 Posts
My coop was then sprayed to dripping with permethrin premise spray after removing bedding.
That's what I would do too, along with the Ivomec:
https://happyjackinc.com/our-products/flea-tick-control/kennel-dip-ii/
s-l1000.jpg
"It was the early 1940s in Snow Hill, NC. James G. Exum had a kennel full of beloved beagles and mange was making their lives miserable. Being a tinkerer, an amateur chemist, and the owner of a very large Pharmacology book, James went to work in his garage and mixed up a batch of mange medicine that worked better than anything else on the market."

Reactions: jewel777

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sand that is mixed with the soil out here maybe to fine. I will make them a sandbox as soon as everything calms down. I was running a temperature this morning. A little scared.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,895 Posts
Almost like dust. It’s everywhere.
That's the best kind.
DE isn't different chemically. It's the size and shape that makes it effective, but it only works when it's dry.

Reactions: jewel777

·
Premium Member
24,016 Posts
Grandma used sand from a local quarry, not available in stores.
I used play sand from Lowes when I had ducks. No mites, but I don't know if mites are a problem in waterfowl.
Mom's chickens had a dust hole in one of the barns and had lots of mite problems.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'd second (or fourth) good old sand and dust baths. We never had any problems after moving our chickens to a coop with dusty ground around it -long overhanging eaves keep the rain off for a small radius and the chickens took out all the grass in short order. I'll put some sand and ash occasionally in the dust.. zero issues. I'm not sure how useful the ash is but I was told to do it and so I keep it up.

Based on what danus said maybe the sand alone is the key ingredient.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts