miter saw question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Christina R., Dec 31, 2005.

1. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

I have a 10" compound miter saw (a ryobi).... can I cut a 4x4 with this? Can I change the blade to cut metal (angle iron, channel, flat steel) with it? I really don't know enough about them to know what kind of applications I can do with it. What are some things you do with your miter saws besides cutting specific angles on pieces of wood?

2. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

measure the washer that holds the blade on. If it is more than 1" in diameter you cant cut a 4x4 in one cut. Even if it is smaller than 1", the motor housing may hit the 4x4 stopping the blade from vutting any deeper. You can however cut as far as the saw will go down, then roll the 4x4 over to finish. You can buy a fiber "cut off" wheel that will fit on your saw for cutting steel. If you want to cut aluminum pipe, chanel, or angle, then you need a carbide tipped "triple chip" blade with at least 60 teeth.

3. catahoula

catahoula Well-Known Member

I have a bosch 10 inch compound miter saw and can cut 4x4s. I don't see why you couldn't put an abrasive blade in your saw to cut metal, the sparks might melt any plastic blade covers, motor housings etc.,they might also catch your dust bag on fire as well. Good luck.

4. Richard6br

Richard6br Well-Known Member

I used a radial saw once with a metal cutting fiber blade to cut stainless steel flat bar stock but I don't recommend it. Cutting non ferrous metal is no problem. I cut thin wall aluminum extrusions all day long for over 35yrs on radial and miter saws. You can buy a carbon steel or carbide tipped blade made for cutting non ferrous metals. 4x4 is no problem, just flip it over to finish the cut. Cutting steel in messy, the sparks will burn and pit your aluminum saw frame and melt any plastic that the saw is made of. [I saw a fiber steel cutting blade explode once at work, the guy running the saw lost all his buttons on his shirt but did not get hurt, and he was using a metal cutting cut off saw.]