Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two words combined, such as 'hotel and motor' = motel. 'Breakfast and lunch' = brunch. This is named _________? Put that into a search engine and smoke it. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Let's see....it's not compounding because that is taking 2 words and making one like hot and dog making hotdog. Is it called blending?
karen in Indiana

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
'Neologisms are by definition "new", and as such are often directly attributable to a specific individual, publication, period or event. The term "neologism" was itself coined around 1800; so for some time in the early 19th Century, the word "neologism" was itself a neologism.'

Close but no cigar.

Examples given are not 'new'. Motor and hotel are long within our usage, as is breakfast and lunch. The first paragraph is directly from Wikipedia. The word 'email' qualifies as being neologism in that it is a recently new created word, the stumper question refers to old words that become combined to create a new word.

I believe this is the closest any one has ever came within the correct answer but yet not exact.

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
... and so it's definitely not called blending like Karen suggested? Maybe conjoining?

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is said that rabbits prefer licorice over all other types of confections. In that I am not a rabbit nutritionist I cannot say if this is safe for rabbits or even the truth. Its a trivia question I am repeating, nothing more.

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
Interesting! (Will have to make a mental note to myself to never go near the buns if I have a licorice smell on my fingers!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.