Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tractor mechanic was here this morning so I got side tracked and forgot until now.

How many ounces of salt are typically in a gallon of sea water?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
moopups said:
Tractor mechanic was here this morning so I got side tracked and forgot until now.

How many ounces of salt are typically in a gallon of sea water?
Where do you get these questions? I guess if thy were easy it wouldn't be so interesting.

My guess is 3 oz.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
One gallon of regular water is 128 oz. So I would think Sea water is denser. My thought /Guess is 7.2 Oz. Of sea salt per gallon. This is just A guess. I really have NO true idea!! Thanks for these Stumpers they keep us Guessing.

6,637 Posts
james dilley said:
One gallon of regular water is 128 oz. So I would think Sea water is denser. My thought /Guess is 7.2 Oz. Of sea salt per gallon. This is just A guess. I really have NO true idea!! Thanks for these Stumpers they keep us Guessing.
the 128 oz is fluid ounces...its a liquid measurement like gallons. There is an ounce that is a weight measurement like pounds.

Mitch didnt state witch ounce he is talking about.

His question can not be answered the way he asked it.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
well dont you know that Aspies are generally known for the amount of 'useless' information they contain!!!n I had a coworker that would spout off irrelevant and useless information like "did you know that the white house has xxxx number of silverware settings" or "Sharks have xxxx number of teeth"

as for the stumper I was going to say 3 but since that has already been said, I will say 12 ounces

Rachel

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
I think about 12 tablespoons of salt... but I don't know how many ounces that would be....

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In that water is the universal pivot of all comparable fluid measurements, a fluid ounce of water is the same as a weight ounce. Other fluids densities vary therefore their nomenclature needs to be specified as to what system you are referring to. 50 fluid ounces is the same amount as 50 weight ounces but only in water.

The source of the question did not state if the ounces in the question was fluid or weight.

·
..where do YOU look?
3,920 Posts
1/2 cup (4 oz or 8 TBSP) of salt should get you a salt/water mixture that approximates the specific density of seawater.

R

·
Registered
17 Posts
It depends on the composition of the sea water. The Dead Sea has a much higher salt content than the Pacific Ocean.

But my guess is 8 1/2 ounces.

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
Okay, so if 8 tbsp is 4 oz, then my 12 tbsp guess would be equal to 6 oz.

·
Registered
843 Posts
M'Ngiri.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That whacks it for my supply of wart hog questions, with the CX answer.

New question; At what temperature Celsius does silver melt?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts