Missouri - Versailles/Lake of the Ozarks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Hummingbird, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

DH & I had the most delightful day today. We got the old pickup and drove over to Versailles and went to Weaver's Mennonite grocery, bought lots of goodies for the winter and some delicious pecan rolls for tomorrow's breakfast. Then we proceeded down Rt. 5 to Camdenton and found a few antique stores, then turned north on Hwy 54, stopped at the HUGE Hy-Vee grocery (got gas for 2.17/gal with a coupon from the Hy-Vee) then wandered our way back home to Lincoln Co. We stopped in Wright City at the Ruiz Castillo restaurant and my oh my was that good! All in all, we were gone about 12 hours but we had a wonderful day - the trees are just starting to turn, the temps were mild and we just took a break and had fun. Anyone else been through this area lately?

God bless!

Nance

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

That sounds absolutely delightful. Good to hear the trees are starting to turn, I expect to be in N. Ark sometime Friday and/or Saturday of this coming week.... hoping to see some trees changing then.

Angie

3. dkwhite

dkwhite Member

I haven't been there in a few months. I lived in the Versailles area my whole life up to four years ago. I assume you're talking about the Weaver's in Excelsior?

4. Hummingbird

Yes!!! That's it exactly. We've been there twice now and I just love it. Probably won't get back til spring now though. bummer. DH loves it when I buy steel cut oats and cook them in the crockpot overnight so that was his favorite request. Had to get a big bag. And some butter. And some brown sugar.. and some......and some.... and some..... :)

5. dkwhite

dkwhite Member

Have you ever been to the Dutch Country Store while you were in the Excelsior area? It's not too far out of town. I don't know their current situation, but they used to sell a lot of damaged food items. Dented cans, crushed boxes, etc. I used to go about once a month and stock up. Pretty good savings. They also carried an inventory similar to Weaver's. If you're interested I'll send you directions.

6. Hummingbird

Yes, please! Thank you - I love stuff like that and so does DH. He just can't resist something salvaged. :D