Missouri Ozarks Homesteading

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by terri46355, May 16, 2006.

1. terri46355

terri46355 Well-Known Member

We purchased a property in the West Plains area. Almost everyone we meet is pleasant and we can't wait until we become full-time residents.

We have been told (by other transplants) that a lot of people who were born and raised in the area will never accept anyone from another part of the country and a lot of them like to take advantage of "outsiders" and "Yankees".

Has anyone else at this site experienced this when they moved into a new area?

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I'm near Alton, and I'm only here in the summers, but everybody treats me very nicely.

The only thing that you need to be conscious of is learning the local ways instead of trying to make everything the way is was where you came from.

Smile, shake hands, ask for help, take your neighbors cookies, get involved in local events.

This is a beautiful area, with really nice folks. I think you'll like it!

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Follow up - -

Become a member of Air Evac. You'll see the signs around. It's a membership that gets you free air ambulance service if you need it. Definately worth it in a rural area.

4. Linda H

Linda H Missouri Ozarks

We moved to Texas County missouri two years ago. When we moved here we were told th same thing by a friend. We havn't had a bit of trouble being accepted, but we were pretty countryfied when we got here. We get discounts at the local lumber yard. We get to grub for treasures in their discard pile. We get free delivery on wood and big things A lot of city people make the mistake of bragging about all their belongings. Such as, We have a 3,000 square foot house. We bought our kids a big screen tv or 200.00 sneakers. Country people aren't impressed by what you have, they are however impressed with what you are. Also the area that you're moving into is one that is used to "new" people. You just might find that your neighbors are also new comers.

5. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

Don't do it around Nevada, MO unless you have relation there and specially if you are a Yankee. If you find someone nice there chances are they are not local. Nevada is called "The Bushwaker Capitol of the World" the town was burned by Yankees during the Civil War, it's where the Democrats moved Frank James when the Northern Republicans wanted to hang him.

6. terri46355

Thanks, Rose, for recommending Air Evac. As soon as we settle in we're joining. We've already paid our dues to the local fire department.

Thanks, Linda H, for the encouragement. We're located in Ozark County, so there aren't too many folks to brag to, we don't have much to brag about, and everyone is related, so we know not to gossip!

So far, we've met our neighbors across the road and the next closest one 1/4 mile away (her brother). The people across the road brought cookies the first day we met. They watch the place while we're gone and have given us recommendations on local contractors and businesses.

The guy 1/4 mile away came over to meet us. As we were drinking coffee with him, he made a comment about Yankees coming in to the area. He caught himself and tried to cover it by saying he was born in Illinois.

DH didn't know what to make of the comment, so he said that when you go to Canada we're all Yankees. I took it that the neighbor had accepted us and didn't consider us Yankees.

7. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    I am so glad that I read this post. We are leaving Monday to look at two farms in Missouri then on to Kentucky to look at one. One of the farms in MO is near Willow Springs, and the other is near West Plains. What can you tell me about fire department dues - that is something I have never heard of before. But I do live in Wyoming and we are pretty sheltered here, maybe that is standard everywhere else? BTW, the farm in KY is in Morgan County, anyone have any info about the social customes, etc. there that one might want to know about BEFORE taking the plunge!

Thanks in advance,
    Anne
    Cowgirlracer

8. terri46355

The rural fire departments are all volunteer. I think the one we are closest to charges $50 or $60 per year. We were told that if you don't pay, they'll let your house burn down.

9. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

We live in Northern Arkansas about 10 miles from the Missouri border. At a cookout last weekend another lady and I were talking about how seldom we actually meet anyone that is "from" Missouri or Arkansas...not that I ask everyone I meet, but if there is time to get to know them, it most often ends up with their also not being from this area.

The advise, not to brag about how much better it is where you are originally from is good...but that would be good advise no matter where you relocated to.

Oh, just so you know, I was supposedly from the friendly place on earth and I think this area might even have 'em beat.

Hugs
    Marlene

10. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

I have a farm in Willow Springs and its 50.00 a year for the fire dept. If you don't join ( your choice ) they don't let your house burn down but they will bill you for the service from what I have been told. We moved here in 1993 and I am from Calif my husband from NJ. You won't find nicer people anywhere. We have friends like family here. One funny thing I have learned by moving to the Ozarks is I have met more people from calif and az. here than I have met ozarkers LOL. Oh the taxes on our farm for 23 acres a few outbuildings and one very small house is about 100.oo a year. To get our car registered was 35.oo If I had a choice of where to buy again it would be west plains. Only because you want to go to dinner, a movie, stock car races, shoping, you always have the drive to West Plains. My cousin lives in London Ky and she has a fit about how they tax her to death out there. She is single and living in town with her boyfriend and they get no tax breaks for anything.

11. Karenrbw

Karenrbw Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is NE Missouri, our local fire department is all volunteer - not supported by taxes. It is $50 a year or $125 for three years. If you are not a member and you have a fire, they come out but charge $500 for the call and $150 an hour for every hour they are there. It does have other benefits. Our local fire department has a huge fish fry every fall as their annual business meeting. Good place to meet locals and get involved. Most are run by a board of people elected at the meeting. Watch out. You may be like my husband and get elected to the board before you know what is going on.

12. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

I live in Texas County, Willow Springs. I really love my life here. I am blessed with a whole PILE of good neighbors. Probably, the key to that is if YOU are a good neighbor, your neighbors will be good neighbors, too.

We swap all sorts of things; butter, eggs, garden produce, help with haying, help with fencing, baked goods, a nice young rabbit, recipes, you name it.

And, OH BOY! The flea markets, second-hand shops and discount grocery places! What fun!

When DH and I needed a barn built, a roof replaced, some elec work done, we asked friends to recommend someone they felt was honest. We've never been burned yet.

You CAN be accepted by the locals! Get involved in local events. Be honest, friendly and always remember to chat a little (don't be in too big of a hurry.) When I was strolling around at the Cabool Farm Fest the other day, my banker recognized me and greeted me by name. So did one of the local realtors. I feel like I'm part of the community now, for sure! LOL!

I like West Plains for all the "bigger city" stuff it offers, and I will make the 45-minute drive there once a month or so. For Big Lots and Aldi, among other things.

Please do me a favor. When you get settled in, check out the flea markets and second-hand stores and let me know about them. I haven't yet had time to scout those out in West Plains. However, I DO know where almost all of them are in Houston, Cabool, Mountain View and Mountain Grove.

Welcome to the Ozarks.

NeHi Mama

13. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't live in the Ozarks, but I was born in and have lived in MO all of my life. I think the thing we rural Missourians resent the most is people who buy property and build fancy houses right next to our farmland and then complain about the farm odors and the equipment cluttering up the scenery. Hey, we were here first and the farm and equipment are our bread and butter. We have a friend whose family ran a dairy farm for years. A new housing addition was built next to his farm and he was forced out of business because these people got the zoning changed and complained about the smell. If you are an old clodhopper like the rest of us, WELCOME!!!! :)

14. yarrow

yarrow Ages Ago Acres Nubians Supporter

We moved to the MO. Ozarks two years ago. I'm from Oklahoma, my hubby is from western PA. We are about 30 miles east of West Plains (outside of Alton) LOVE it here. Moved to the state not knowing a single person. *bought our homestead sight unseen, via the internet!* -could not have been more perfect for our needs. 20 acres, mix of woods & tree ringed meadows. Up on a hill, wonderful views of some of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen. Our neighbors to the south (the only house I can see from our place) are without a doubt the best we could ever of dreamed of having. They have become our family! (I've learned so much about life here in the Ozarks from them. They are lifelong Ozarkians) We chose this area for it's climate (all four seasons..yippee!) low costs of just about everything. where we are NO building codes. We've met tons of nice people. West Plains is big enough for most of our *city* shopping needs. Which aren't huge. I grow a good sized garden each year (all heirloom from Baker's rare seeds, which isn't too far from West Plains) I raise nubians & jerseys, so milk/cheese/soap are all made here on the farm. We raise chickens & turkeys. The neighbors raise us a hog each year (on jersey milk... tender piggie!! LOL) we help them hay. we share farm work/chores back and forth all the time. There are tons of small town festivals and gatherings. Farmer's markets, auctions you name it. We buy local, we shop local and we hire local help when we need something done here that we can't do. We don't rattle on and on about "how it's done where we come from" LOL. I've learned to talk little, listen alot. Most of the folks here will really open up once they figure out you didn't bring your city *airs* and attitudes with you LOL. .... Now with all that said, I have to admit, for just hanging out/social type get-togethers (aside from the neighbors and their extended families) ALL of the people we truly think of as friends are somewhat recent transplants like ourself (I really don't think it's cause we came from somewhere else...just that the locals already have their family & their own friends and do things we them. It's all us newbies to the areas that have openings at our tables and in our hearts for new freinds.
    Welcome to the neighborhood! Hope to meet you once you get settled in. Where is your land located? I know you are near WP. but didn't know which direction out of town you bought?
    susie, mo ozarks

15. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

We moved to the southern Missouri area in 2000 from Indiana(originally from Ohio)and will have to admit I have met a few "born and bred in the Ozarks" people who haven't been the nicest. But I think they are the exception rather than the rule. Truly though, it is uncommon to meet someone who has lived here all their lives! Most are transplants themselves from somewhere or other. If you are country-minded, down-to-earth, and willing to take folks as they are, and not try to fit them into your mold......then most folks are very nice. The nicest of anywhere I have ever lived in fact. I like most of them and most of them like me. But seriously I can only think of a few families who have lived here all their lives........This area tends to attract nice folks from out of area. I live in Cabool, about 45 minutes from West Plains. :) I am more of a country "hick" than many long-time Ozarkians....... :p

16. FourDeuce

FourDeuce Five of Seven Supporter

I've heard about this happening, but never experienced it yet. But then, I've only been living here in the Ozarks for about 14 years now, so maybe they just haven't gotten around to "rejecting" me yet. ;)
    Overall, the people here are very friendly(I live about 12 miles south of the Missouri state line), but have met plenty of people from other parts of the Ozarks, and they all seem very friendly. Mostly, as others have said, they treat you the way you treat them. :cowboy:

17. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Well around here I was told right off I wouldn't have trouble because I had family in the area,raised pretty close,and knew their ways.

I must admit there was things I didn't agree with.Such as burning the woods every year and poaching.

I do know that some will either burn your House while your gone.Or just shoot you,if they want you out.Even though I've only seen two Houses set fire,one was because this old woman didn't like the people,they was living in a Trailer on her property,she couldn't get them to leave,so she had their place burnt.The only person I know that was shot.Was because he was Gay,they shot him at his Mail Box.Knew one Guy come home,somebody had shot all his Hogs.

There was a Guy on here Simpleman.He left because of the trouble he had in Ozark County.

big rockpile

18. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Ive heard this same story but for the life of me dont know why people think this. I came from Illinois but Im originally from New England and still have the accent to prove it. I have never met a soul in Missouri that wasnt friendly or accommodating in fact many of them went out of their way to welcome me and John and to offer us advice, help and the loan of equipment without asking. One man showed up with his tractor to help me dig holes for the poles on my house when he happened to visit my neighbor one day and saw me digging the holes by hand with a clamshell handdigger. When we visit the homestead, our neighbor Adrianna always comes over with eggs, fresh milk and bacon and gets mad if I bring anything from the store that she can supply from her surplus. First time I ordered lumber over the phone from out of state,(1500 dollars worth of lumber and supplies) they didnt even ask for a credit card number or demand I send a check first. When I asked are you sure, the lumberman chuckled and said...You all dont sound like the sort that would have me load a truck and deliver and then stiff me on the bill. I paid him cash and he would have taken my out of state check. But I do agree about one thing, Ozarkians dont like folks that put on airs. Thats the kiss of death for sure. Welcome to the Ozarks.

19. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Mark you should know by now everyone isn't going to tell you right out how they feel.And some will be sneaky as far as showing how they feel.

There was a Black family going to move in by us.There was talk all over of burning them out,before they moved in.They didn't move in.My Daughter was run out of Latham,Mo. by the KKK.

I know things have changed but my Exwife Uncle was drug to death,40 years ago,just North of you.Because he was an Indian.

Some people just won't change their ways,its just the way they were raised.

big rockpile

20. dale

dale Well-Known Member

I have lived in Mo for 37 years but when we got here I was in highschool.
    The first day when we moved in to Ava some of the local boys wanted to fight my brother and I.
    Well after some talking they decided we wasnt half bad.

So since we have lived in MO so long eveyone considers us a native. All i have to do is tell them i went to Ava High and they think i live here all my life. Well really I do feel like a Missourian.

Now to answer the question that has been posted.

The bigest thing that agravates some of the locals is when someone moves in and tells them they are doing everything wrong and that the new comer will tell the I will show you.
    That makes them mad and then they wont help you and will sit back and see how long you last.

If you will ask for help from some of them they will usually help all they can.

IF you come with the thought you are smarter then all these hicks well you will probably have enemys.

Now about the Fire Dept. dues. like posted above they are taken because there is no tax money and that is how they purchase equiipment and gas.

Our fire dept which im a fire fighter/medical responder dues are only 35 dollars per year.
    We wont refuse a person if their house or what ever is on fire but We will send a bill. It is 500 per truck and so much for water plus so much an hour. We usually bill your insurance company.
    Although there are some that will not respond if you are not a member. you can read it in the classifieds where they tell you if your not a member we wont come.

There was a story on one of the local tv stations where a fellow moved in and wouldnt pay dues then when he had a fire the fire dept showed up but to make sure none of the surrounding homes caught fire.
    the fellow tried to pay the dues there but they wouldnt take it. it was to late.

Air Evac you need to read the contract or question the seller.
    yes you are covered but it is only for life threating reasons they will take you for free and if you go with just maybe a broken leg or such they will charge you.

they wanted to sale their memberships here but it was up to the person buying them
    We at the fire dept calls it Crash u Vac
    They are the only air ambulance company in this area that has a record of crashes.