Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
Been There Done That, Got The T-shirt
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although no state is entirely unaffected by meth’s presence, certain places emerged as manufacturing hubs. Missouri had 27.6 meth labs per 100,000 residents; authorities regarded the state as America’s meth production capital

Study ranks Missouri #1 in meth manufacturing

When Heinrich Böll, the German writer and Nobel laureate, was a young man in his twenties, like many able-bodied youths of his time, he joined the Wehrmacht, the German Armed Forces of Nazi Germany. During World War 2, he served all over Europe as well as the Soviet Union.

On November 9, 1939, while fighting in occupied Poland, Böll wrote to his parents back home in Cologne: “It's tough out here, and I hope you'll understand if I'm only able to write to you once every two to four days soon. Today I'm writing you mainly to ask for some Pervitin.”

Some months later, he wrote to his family again: “Perhaps you could get me some more Pervitin so that I can have a backup supply?”

Pervitin was Nazi Germany’s wonder drug, one that was designed to enable pilots, sailors and infantry troops deliver superhuman performance. Soldiers who took Pervitin stayed awake for days at a time, walked for miles without resting, and felt no pain or hunger. Today we know this drug as methamphetamine, or crystal meth.

Methamphetamine is an awfully potent drug. Even in small quantities, it stimulates the central nervous system releasing loads of dopamine that gives the drug user a prolonged euphoric high, increases alertness and concentration while removing fatigue. Methamphetamine also has a strong aphrodisiac effect that makes it a popular “party drug”. The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime estimates that nearly 25 million people abuse crystal meth throughout the world.

Methamphetamine was first synthesized in 1887, and was originally prescribed to treat ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) and obesity (meth causes loss of appetite), and as a nasal decongestant. During World War 2, the German armed forces fed their soldiers copious amount of stimulants including alcohol, opiates and methamphetamine to keep them perpetually high. The German high command believed—based on inputs from the director of the Military Medical Academy and the Institute of General and Military Physiology, Otto Friedrich Ranke—that drugging and intoxicating troops would improve their self-confidence, concentration and the willingness to take risks, and at the same time reduce their sensitivity to pain, hunger and thirst, and the need for sleep. Ranke promoted methamphetamine as a miracle drug that would help Germany achieve victory over the Allies.

Pervitin: The Wonder Drug That Fueled Nazi Germany
John Cornille had been with the Drug Enforcement Administration for seven years. Yet he couldn't wrap his head around what his informant was describing.

It was November 1992, and the man was talking about a visit to a home in Reeds Spring, Missouri. He said he'd been forced at gunpoint to use methamphetamine manufactured there. But something was off. The informant didn't mention beakers, flasks, Bunsen burners — none of the complex glassware Cornille was taught were part of meth labs.

Instead, the informant reported an unusual scene: Black trash bags stuffed with empty boxes of cold medicine. A mason jar full of kerosene, with something resembling a hockey puck settled at the bottom. Starter fluid. And a cookie sheet in the oven, with a yellowish cake on it.

Cornille, like other DEA agents, had made meth himself, under controlled circumstances, as part of his official duties. It was standard practice; the agency knew it meant he'd have more credibility when he asked a court for a search warrant or filled out a probable cause statement recommending criminal charges. It was important that prosecutors see him and other agents as experts on the manufacturing of illegal drugs.

The Man Who Reinvented Meth

• Wow
Reactions: thesedays and TxMex

·
Premium Member
24,825 Posts
That's nothing new.

The story you posted is from 2019, but I'm sure you can find older headlines saying the same thing.

For a while here, people used to talk about a "special" meth: 417 (area code for most of southern MO).

I don't get why people want to take meth. I mean, I get it, because a lot of people like speed, but you look at someone who's been using for a few months, and they look like unvarnished hell.

Why would somebody look at someone like that - pocked face, picked skin, rotting teeth - and say, "Yeah, sure! Sign me up for that!"

·
Banned
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's nothing new.

The story you posted is from 2019, but I'm sure you can find older headlines saying the same thing.

For a while here, people used to talk about a "special" meth: 417 (area code for most of southern MO).

I don't get why people want to take meth. I mean, I get it, because a lot of people like speed, but you look at someone who's been using for a few months, and they look like unvarnished hell.

Why would somebody look at someone like that - pocked face, picked skin, rotting teeth - and say, "Yeah, sure! Sign me up for that!"

I can't help but wonder the very same thing.

Never saw the logic in buying some unknown chemical/Drano mixture off of the street from a total stranger and shooting into my veins either.

I'll go so far as to say that in both cases they run to a free clinic when they have some ache or pain and live in fear of contracting Covid.

Pure logic.

Reactions: Pony

·
Premium Member
24,825 Posts

Never saw the logic in buying some unknown chemical/Drano mixture off of the street from a total stranger and shooting into my veins either.

I'll go so far as to say that in both cases they run to a free clinic when they have some ache or pain and live in fear of contracting Covid.

Pure logic.
A few years back, there was a really wicked flesh-eating drug called Krokodil. Horrible drug. But hey! It's a high!

·
Registered
3,797 Posts

Pure logic.
I think much of it is due to childhood trauma.

·
Banned
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think much of it is due to childhood trauma.
I personally don't buy into that theory.

Everyone has suffered childhood trauma.

“A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering is great or little. Therefore the 'size' of human suffering is absolutely relative.”― Viktor Frankl,
There are two types of people in the world. Survivors and quitters.

Survivors improvise, adapt and overcome the negative circumstances and events of life, while quitters are constantly looking for excuses to quit.

Survivors accept responsibility to play the hand that is dealt them, while quitters never accept personal responsibility and roll around on the floor like they are gut shot over every inconvenience.

·
Banned
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are victims. Well that explains it.
Victim cards are like race cards.

A license to stick one's head up one's posterior and demand respect/reparations for having done so.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
They are victims. Well that explains it.
Please explain then, how in your opinion people get hooked on something they know will rot their teeth and ruin their lives. Just white trash? Losers? Children of Democrats? 😀
I have found that many addicts including alcoholics are pacifying something deep inside them. Numbs the pain. To get help they need to get to the root of that.

·
Registered
277 Posts
if we knew the answer to why people get addicted, we could cure the addicts. i have 2 kids. my oldest is a two time college graduate, served in the marines and now runs an assisted living facility. living his best life. my youngest struggled with addiction to meth from her teens to her late 20's. she is 4 years clean now and doing great, but it was hell to live through. they were raised in the same house with the same rules. she was actually probably the favorite when they were younger. how does that happen? after years of self blame, i have decided it was nothing her dad and i did, and we cant take the blame anymore.

·
Registered
42,443 Posts
Please explain then, how in your opinion people get hooked on something they know will rot their teeth and ruin their lives. Just white trash? Losers? Children of Democrats? 😀
I have found that many addicts including alcoholics are pacifying something deep inside them. Numbs the pain. To get help they need to get to the root of that.
I knew many victims of meth, and not a single one suffered childhood trauma. I knew them well enough, like brothers, to know that fact.

They simply wanted to get high. Started small, and the desire overtook them. People have this incredibly strong, and innate ability to convince themselves, "it will not happen to me."

·
Banned
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you believe that everyone who abuses drugs/alcohol does so to assuage some personal tragedy?

I know of two, only children who were deprived of nothing while growing up only to become meth addicts.

One attained sobriety, the other is still a mess.

The wounded dove defense for drug/alcohol abuse makes about as much sense as having Walt Disney anthropomorphic tendencies about deer having human emotions.

People abuse drugs/alcohol because they refuse to take personal responsibility for the direction of their lives.

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne

Reactions: nodak3 and TxMex

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
I agree with you. Doesn't change my point.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Please explain then, how in your opinion people get hooked on something they know will rot their teeth and ruin their lives. Just white trash? Losers? Children of Democrats?
In my limited exposure to meth users the ones I see are looking for a way to feel good, preferably with little effort or expense needed. As already pointed out, some want a short cut to happiness, some are willing to work for it.

·
Banned
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Often they aren’t looking for an easy way to feel good but rather to numb their demons.
I daresay that most people living in North America have no personal experience with dealing with real demons.

Those that truly have, posses a dignity that keeps them out of the gutter.

Those that scream for and demand help the most, need it the least.

Reactions: nodak3

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
Looking at your previous commend, this doesn’t make sense.
Sure it does. You made a generalization and I followed it up with one.

Guy lives down a dead end road deep in the timber in his doublewide.
One end of the trailer is burned out, yard stacked in garbage and junk cars on blocks. He has a bumper sticker on his one running vehicle that says
"I do dumb s***".
Cooking meth is one of those things.
If you knew him you would understand he owns his life.
No past trauma, no one else to blame. If someone made him the way he is, he doesn't know it and I doubt he would appreciate anyone trying to tell him otherwise.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts