Mississippi Born Bears

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by terriv, Mar 20, 2005.

1. terriv

terriv Well-Known Member

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm in north MS. Wow...isn't that cool? And they're so cute!

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Well, that's a new one on me. I never heard of a bear having a litter of 5! Two or three maybe, but 5? WOW.

4. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

I'm in north Mississippi too. I sure hope we don't get bears but I can see the establishment is pushing for it. Several years ago surveys were sent out to landowners concerning reintroduction of black bears. The bias of the survey was pretty obvious.

5. terriv

terriv Well-Known Member

Hello neighbors. I'm just a bit south of Jackson for years. Origianally from Montgomery County in north central.

Mississippi has an estimated 40 bears and unfortunately no population growth because they are all the same sex. This one swam across the river from Lousiana (ok we cheated).

Maybe it was a couple of year ago that Teddy Roosevelt's grandson was trying to transplant opposite sex bears here to keep them native. Don't know what happened with that but gosh yes, I want to save native animals and their habitats, even bears. And I do support hunting those in abundance for FOOD. (Kill it, you have to eat it.)

Though still "rural", unfortunately around me they are clearcutting forest left and right, mining dirt ton over ton to flatten every hill, and throwing in 1000 house neighborhoods EVERYWHERE. Ugh. At least I have a neighbor who owns 166 acres of forest and won't sell in her lifetime. Me? I planted 3000 trees ...then became a realtor. *$igh*

I worry about native cats. They need room and peace.